1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Arctic plow ,no side shift.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Slither, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Slither

Slither Junior Member

HI,I have an older arctic plow,at least 20 yrs.It was working fine,but was leaking fluid at some of the line connections.Eventually,the plow wouldnt go very high and the side shift was minimal.I refilled the fluid,and the raise now works properly again,but the side shift doesnt work.I bled the lines and tried it but nothing,the pump runs,and seems to refill,the line.What is the procedure after emptying the lines?.Should the piston be extended or retracted,I tried it with the blade in the centre position as well.I am sure I am not doing something right.After bleeding I could move the blade side to side by hand.Thanks for your help.:dizzy:

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Sounds like air in the system and any fluid you added went right to the lift cylinder when you raised it.

Lower the lift cylinder all the way, check fluid level, angle blade left to right several times (if runs slow or jerks while angling, check level again), check fluid level again, raise blade fully and angle several times again, lower blade fully and recheck fluid level.

3. Slither

Slither Junior Member

Ok ,I will try that.Right now it moves a hair but thats it,then it jerks a little.The hole where I fill this has a plastic cap,with a foam filter.If you look into the fill hole there are a lot of wires near the top there.I didnt think the fluid should cover the wires.Should I fill the reservoir closer to the top?I had left it a little over the middle.Thanks.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Sounds like its still low on fluid. Go ahead and fill it up, wont hurt the wires, just leave a little space from the top for air.

5. Slither

Slither Junior Member

ok,filled it up and still have nothing,just jerks a little.I can still move the plow side to side by pushing it though,which I dont think I should be able to do.What do you think.? Thanks.

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

with the plow on the ground.... check where the hydraulic line goes in to the angle cylinder, is the the line going in higher than the plow end of the cylinder? if not the air is getting trapped in the cylinder (air rises) if you have to jack up the front of the truck so the angle cylinder is tipped down towards the plow.

7. Slither

Slither Junior Member

Still no go,If I am plowing and the blade gets a little pressure closer to one side or the other the blade will angle on its own,thwere is no resistance to it moving.I think there is no pressure for the side shift pistons.If you look at my pump from the top,on the bottom left side there is a hole with a threaded 2 piece plug .the top unscrews( it also has an allen screw in it).then the bottom part of the plug (contains a spring)unscrews.I had this off at 1 point ,a lot of fluid leaked out.is it possible there was something that could have fallen out of here.I didnt really understand the purpose of the spring,was there a check valve here or something that may have caused this.?Thanks.

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

sounds like your pressure release valve is whats wrong

9. Slither

Slither Junior Member

Can I purchase the whole new unit and simply thread it in.?Thanks

002.jpg

001.jpg

10. Slither

Slither Junior Member

I have removed the piece and here is what I have left.I assume there was a ball between the spring and the top bolt .Here are some pics.Does anyone know the model of this pump? the tag is worn off.Thanks.

008.jpg

006.jpg

11. Slither

Slither Junior Member

Problem Solved!!! It turns out that the ball check valve,had fallen out of the crossover relief valve,as soon as I replaced it,the side shift worked fine.Thanks to all that replied for your help.