1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Arctic Oscillation

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LawnSmith, Dec 18, 2001.

1. LawnSmith

LawnSmith Member

read the other day that the cause of the above normal temps is Arctic Oscillation. anyone else heard anything else like this?
    the polar air is swirling and not letting any of the cooler pressure release. the article went on to say that this has been happening since about the 1960s off and on.
    the AO is in a negative effect right now and its slowly returning to positive. when it hits full positive we should be in for a big one. at least thats what the acticle in Time Mag said.

any thoughts?
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i think winter is acting like a time bomb. sooner or later its going to blow. i keep seeing different forecasts, and now they say possibly a signifigant snowfall on christmas eve, and day. hope it happens.
  3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

The Artic Oscillaton controls winter, in a very big way. Other related factors include high pressure domes over Greenland, the Atlantic Oscillation and high pressure domes over the north western US.....

And.... we just wait... like every year.....
  4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I think it will snow... eventually. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
  5. LawnSmith

LawnSmith Member

i hope it snows too. i finally bought my first plow and salter this year and i havent been able to use it yet.
  6. paul

paul PlowSite.com Veteran

JA and every one east it looks like you'll get some tonight.

MATTHEW Member
    from NE OHIO

Yeah, it snows in Hawaii while we're still mowing grass in the North states. I think Binladen has something to do with it.:p
  8. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I'm in SLC this week, so I get to watch it on the internet..... although I'm told that we are all set and ready for it when/if it hits.....

I gotta great team !!