1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Arctic Cat Winch Problem

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by JDT, Oct 31, 2009.

1. JDT

JDT Member

I have a 2004 Arctic Cat 400 with a Warn Winch. The winch stopped working awhile ago, when I click the in our out buttons I just hear a clicking coming from a box under the seat. I can't find any information anywhere on this, has anyone experienced a similar problem, or may be able to provide some insight on how to fix my problem? Thanks for your help in advance!

Jeff

2. loggerman

loggerman Member

Go to arcticchat.com , there is a answer for everything ac there!

3. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

its the solenoid imo, click click click and its on a cat, warn and cat go handin hand lol

call superwinchs rebuild center and the guy will sell ya a rebuilt cheap likw new, i have'nt had a problem in years nock on wood

4. loggerman

loggerman Member

I have 3 atvs a thundercat 1000 and 2 650 v2s and never had any trouble with winches! The 650s are 05 machines and they get rode hard every year! The warns will last forever with a yearly mantanance program:)

5. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I am 99.8% sure it is he solenoid. It is either on the outside(back) of the battery box.

6. JDT

JDT Member

Thanks guys, any idea's on where I can get a solenoid? Both AC dealers in my area have closed their doors.....

7. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

warn maybe

8. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

ebay most likely

9. eicivic

eicivic Member

Mine did the same thing. Double check the connections at the solenoid and the connections where you got your power source. Being my cat has seen a lot of mud and water i had a bad connection so it didn't have the voltage required. Clean the connections and give it a try... Worst thing is you may waste a few minutes of your day.

10. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

Yes, check connections, but use a voltage tester. When it clicks is the power coming out of the solenoid? If it is then is the connection at the winch putting the power to the winch? I had a similar problem, the brushes in the winch motor were the issue. One had broken off from the terminal on the inside of the case. I soldered it back on and used the winch for a year before selling the quad. IMO, the clicking solenoid indicates that it IS operating. As I said, use a voltage tester and trace the power from the source all the way to the winch. Winch is just an electric motor, don't be afraid to open it up if you need to.