1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Arcing at mount

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Turkey, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Turkey

Turkey Member

I'm getting some arcing at the mount when raising the lift tower into place. All positive and ground cables are tight and in place for the plow and truck side harnesses. Does anybody have any suggestions what to be looking for to correct the problem? I'm thinking possibly body-frame ground wires on the truck, but haven't looked at them yet.

Thanks

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

One of mine actually does this too, I was wondering what to look for? I actually forgot about it untill you mentioned it. Thanks.

3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Man I hope that's not a problem, mine's been doing that for 6 years and two trucks................

4. bstout

bstout Member

A quick fix would be to run a heavy conductor between the two points so the electric current wouldn't have to rely on a mechanical connection. Same principle as the trailer hitch syndrome. If the two chassis aren't electrically tied together the hitch ball becomes both the mechanical and electrical connector.

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

ground

i guess this is a boss plow , it is arcing between the smart hitch mouse trap springs and the push beam due to a bad ground in the control plug or on the individual ground on the coils under the plastic cover . you might have to run a separate common, ground from each valve to the motor ground .clean them up and put dielectric grease on all the connections

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

100% agree. I've run into this many times with the Boss's. Like wild bill mentioned, the ground path to the truck is poor somewhere, and it's trying to ground through the mount as soon as it gets close enough to the truck to complete the circuit. Go over ALL your grounds starting at the pump motor and going ALL THE WAY to the battery.

7. Turkey

Turkey Member

Brainstorming with the EE's at work, we come to the same conclusion. I'll be checking the grounds this week and I'll see what happens. Thanks for the help!

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks............

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I meant to thank you too. LOL

10. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

actually

you will see that happen. it is smart to look at all connectors, but honestly the manifold ground through the coupler (light) tower, if this is an RT3 SH1. On the newer plows the have another ground for the manifold and it goes to the motor, which is grounded throught the pos./neg. cable. On the older harness and manifold the coils ground through manifold,which in turns grounds through the tower. then you have the path of least resistance. You will see an arch from coupler the undercarriage, bc it is using the frame as a ground. It is normal, but it is always worth looking at all your grounds when your dealing with salt and other corrosive crap. :help:

11. pinnacle

pinnacle Junior Member

this arching is from your bad ground at the connector (red/black wire) The male connector has a small slit across it and it has collasped due to taking it on and off. Take a small screw driver and sped the male pin. Then lube it up with dielectric grease. You should be all set after that.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That was the problem, I spread the connector and no more arching. Thanks.

13. Turkey

Turkey Member

I'll have to check the connector pin on mine too. Haven't had the time this week to work on the plow, so no progress updates here. All good info, thanks again for the help!

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Another good tip if you have a Boss with the older style single stud motor is to run a ground cable (6 gage is enough) from the stock ground point on the tower directly to the bolt on the end of the motor...This will prevent the motor from trying to find ground through the tower and ultimately to the mount when it's nearby..Boss knew this was a problem, that's why they switched to the double stud motors..that way the motor had a dedicated ground..