1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aprtment complex help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by M&M Services, Nov 4, 2006.

1. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

Apartment complex help

I am posting this for a buddy of mine up in Wisconsin...it is an apartment complex, looking for a seasonal contract, salt, shoveling of sidewalks etc..here is a pic...Equipment is 2 1 tons both have v plows, 1 3/4 ton with an 8ft'r...he has 2 bobcats also..what kind of $$$ would something like this go for??.Thanks,' Mike
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  2. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

I would probably estimate that between $65,000-$78,000 For a seasonal contract but that would include everything. Mulching the place once a year,Turning the mulch three times a year, trimming the bushes 2 times a year, mowing the place every week,edging once a month, snowplowing and salting during the winter. just my opinion. Bid it out and make somepayup payup payup payup
  3. M&M Services

from midwest

how much without the landscape work?? they are just looking for plowing.but hey if thats the case I found my new calling!!!! :drinkup: .Thanks for the help,
  4. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

Yeah no prob! Just for the plowing i would estimate that at $27,300-$34,500 if im looking at it right. That is alot of work! Look at all the sidewalks and all the plowing and on top of that salting. It should be fun, let me know how it goes, i hope you get it!!payup payup
  5. M&M Services

from midwest

I was thinking about the same range about $25k...I think the property management company was sticker shocked...But the way it sounds no one else wants to do it..I will keep you posted...Thanks for your help,
  6. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I think I would go about 25-27k if I am seeing it right. JMO,
  7. M&M Services

from midwest

Well we sent the bid over at $26,000 and got exactly what we thought we would get... wow thats alot...He said some guy bid 15k. :realmad: ..I said sign him, good luck and dont call me if you need some one because he cant do it!!:gunsfiring: I can't believe this...ridiculous people underbidding and this isnt the first contract I have lost either....Had another account for that was I believe going to be sure at 8k, down from 9k they paid last year the last week of september some guy bids $3700 are people out of their mind??? How do they make money/stay in business?? With this kind of stuff happening I may have to get out of the business!
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  8. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Real intelligent:rolleyes: , get your pride out of the way and remember this is business. Some times it may take a year or two to work your way in. Don't act like an idiot your first year. "good luck and don't call me if you need some one because he cant do it!!" For me it would have been more like.... "Well I am sorry we could not help you out this year , have a good year, we will stay in touch. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you:) "

You just never know, maybe he will do a terrible job and they will be out taking bids next year do you think "good luck and don't call me if you need some one because he cant do it!!" Comment really helped :confused:

You also never know who their business friends are, maybe its the other 10 lots you bid on? Lets hope your name does not come up in friendly conversation.

All I am saying is if "your price is your price" thats fine, but always treat them with the ut most most respect and you will be amazed at the results ;)

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

ahhhh men !!!
    Be nice to people and they will tell 2-3 people. Be a dic> and they will tell 10-12 people. Property managers talk to each other more than you think. :nono:
  10. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Ok how do guys make money at lower bids OVERHEAD.
    1)My equipment is all paid for no truck payments,some equipment is over 20 years old and in A1 condition but it still pushes the snow the same way.
    2)Contacts 20 years of plowing makes friends I get better deals on supplies and parts than the new guy it takes time to build up your client base.
    3)Great service you have to go above the norm.If your customer called because you have to much salt on there sidewalk you go clean it off so there office people don't track up the floor.Stuff like that
    Thats how we get contracts not to say we have not had bad years but its your overhead thats adds to the bottom line we don't lowball its just the cost to do business.
  11. M&M Services

from midwest

:drinkup: I didnt actually say that to him... this was for one of my buddys to bid on as said in the post..that was more of a thought in my head as he was telling me what the guy said...but what my buddy did say was i appreciate the opportunity to submit this proposal and your time and if there is anything we can do for you please do not hesitate to call!!! .Heck I wish I had the equipment to bid on something like this!..One of the lots I bid on I knew I was higher but the owner said its not always the cheapest that gets the work its quality. he signed a cheaper guy last year and called me mid season!! .my kind of guy!!!. but I had this happen as stated earlier on a lot I bid at 8k..down from last year at 9 from another company and some one else bids $3700 .. hey its the way business goes sometimes!! I appreciate everyones help!! And I agree with the overhead I am not saying everyone that bids low doesnt do the job right....Just saying that most of the time they are shorting themselves and hurting the rest of us at the same time!! anyways to all lets get some of that snow and make some payup
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2006