1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Approx Hourly Rate for 1845c and 8' box?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark13, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm looking at just a rough estimate on what could be expected for an hourly rate with a Case 1845c and an 8' Box in parking lots? I don't own the SS yet but I've got my eye on one and don't want to end up with something that isn't worth what I thought it was. It would be mostly used for snow. Maybe some dirt work on the side and picking up bales also. I come from a background of pickups so an SS is a total shot in the dark on snow removal for me.

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Depends who you work for around here. A two speed skidder my boss subbed a few times with eight foot plow was getting 90-100 an hour.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

This ones only a single speed. :mad:

4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

My suggestion would be to stay away from a single speed. Even watching someone plowing with one is painful.

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd have to agree for the most part. If this skid wasn't owned by a good family friend with very little use I'd skip right over it. I've put about 150-200hrs on the machine myself so I've got a pretty good idea of what shape its in.

6. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Well put, there's so many 2 speeds out there now that I don't know why someone would use a single speed for any kind of productive snow work. It would do OK on extremely smalljobs, I suppose, like sidewalks.

That being said, I wouldn't be suprised if you got paid nearly the same as your pick-up Mark.

7. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

using 2 speed is like plowing in hi 4's and single speed is like plowing in 4 low. single speed is good, 2 speed is just better. there worth there weight in gold just being able to move skids of salt around and piles of snow. if you can find a good single speed for good money then take it and still use it... just don't forget the cab and skinny tires.

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

My skids are both single speeds, that said they have there application. For us we use them in areas that a truck would have a hard time manuvering in, speed is not a factor as is manuvering, every piece of equipment has its place. Those that said it is painfull to watch I would hope are in a lot & would be correct. The places we do we hit about 100 drives & small roadways (HOA) in 3-4 hours. I've had to a drive here & there (with truck) they missed and was 4 letter wording the whole time.

9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

and i would like to point out that the 1845C case skidsteer is one of the best skidsteers ever made IMO, i actually took the picture of one (because no one believed me in another thread) that was running on 8000-9000 hours on it, and still running strong too.

10. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Single speed skid with box, weeeeeell over $100 an hour in my area.

11. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I have a single speed jd 250 w/cab and heater. I can get over 100.00 an hr here w/ a box subbing

12. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Around here $125.00 a hour with a bucket.

13. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Wow. It would be a struggle to get anything over $100 for hourly here. We can average that much on flat rates but no way on an hourly bid.

14. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

We get $75/hour on our single speed machines, which is just fine by me. Around here no one pays better for two speed machines.

15. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Mark's probably only 50-100 miles South of where I'm at, so I feel like I can take a somewhat educated guess, and there's no way I can see him making $100 per hour long term on a single speed skid, especially in parking lots.

I'm not sure if everyone understands or not, but a @ speed skid can operate in low as well, you just merely flip a simple switch. I'm not convinced a single speed can do the same.

BTW, where are all the individuals who have spent a decent amount of time in a 2 speed machine who reverted back to a single speed skid???????????? :confused:

16. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Mark, not trying to rag on you man but stay away from the single speed unless you can get it cheep, and afford to bid it out cheep. When i first bought my skid I was told i could not plow in High range. I had never ran a 2 speed skid and i baby my equipment so i plowed in low for the first 3 or 4 storms.... I hated it, I was pissed i spent almost 50 k for something that was less productive than a damn jeep. Long story short I talked to a good friend that plows in high with out issues and tried it. After the first time plowing in High I loved my machine.. Night and day difference. The company I work for will NOT let you use a single speed. The only other company I know of around here pays 95 an hour for a 2 speed and 60 for a single speed.
    Robert