1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Appropriate Hours

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Reliablesnow, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Reliablesnow

Reliablesnow Member
    from Detroit

What do you all consider appropriate hours for residential snow removal? I use blower and shovels, no truck. I am hesitant about working past 10pm and before 6am due to noise. What is your take on this?

A storm ended tonight around 9 pm, so I was out from 8-10pm then will finish my route at 5:30am and go cleanup the ones I did tonight.
  2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

never heard of a snow removal business not being 24/7 . we started a pathmark one year at 1am with an army of equipmentand a foot on the ground .
    the police came and told me we were violating peace ordinance in their town . I told him we were contracted to do so . He wrote up a violation to Pathmark , not me

Pathmark cash registers were ringing at 6am . Enough said ?
  3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I would say it depends on the customer and when they need to be out of the house for work. My dad used to have a guy who needed to be out by 5am to start his commute, but we had a plow. Even using a blower though there is no excuse to not have that drive open for the customer.

I would just work until 11pm and start at 5am is I could using a blower, if you start getting complaints from customers change the times, or ask them what time they want you to have their driveway cleared and go from there. But spool is right, get the job done according to contracts.

Also: the town where my dad lives will have 4 loaders and an army of men and trucks hauling every flake of snow off of their main street (where my Dad's apartment is) from 10PM until 6am the next morning. They are so loud that you hear them over the trains going through the mansfield train station at night.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  4. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

get er dunnThumbs Up
  5. SSS Inc.

SSS Inc. PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the cities in my area(minneapolis) have exceptions in their noise ordinance for snow removal equipment. Its just a way of life around here(usually).
  6. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

im not sure if the towns here do, I dont see why they wouldn't, it does snow. (Sometimes)
  7. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

X2, check with the city, mine has an exception on the noise ordinance for snow removal operations, 24/7 is acceptable. And i live in a city where there is a damn ordinance for EVERYTHING!!
  8. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

One of my customers in conversation said something about hearing the snowblower at 2am. I said I could wait till morning next time (34 unit hoa). He said no, no, i'd rather not use a shovel and have dry feet over.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You should have set expectations with your customers when they need/want the drive cleared.
  10. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

I also just use blowers and shovels. I try to have everyone cleared by 7am or 5pm depending on when snow begins/ends. I do not worry about what time it is and none of my customers care as long as driveway is cleared
  11. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

That's what I thought too. I've got a place in South that I've done for about 15 years. About 8 years ago I had some idiot come running out of a neighboring house in his bathrobe and slippers hollering at me because I woke him up at 1 AM. Apparently this guy was ticked off enough to get the city involved and it turns out that the zoning in that particular area is such that I can't plow between the hours of 10 PM and 7 AM now unless Minneapolis declares a snow emergency. Needless to say, I was more than a little pissed since that gives me a fairly small window of time to get it done considering they start filling that lot with cars by 7:30 AM, and they often have people there late into the evening as well.

For what it's worth, the crazy guy in his bathrobe had a Southern accent, and I may have told him to go back to wherever he was from, which probably didn't help matters.
  12. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

It's not unreasonable for people (especially those who didn't hire you) to get pissed off when you wake them at 1am with a snowblower or an aftermarket exhaust on your truck. A truck with a regular OEM exhaust will still wake people from the scraping plow/whining plow motor but the ruckus is much less and most people will be able to get back to sleep unless it takes you a half hour to plow their neighbor's driveway.

In residential areas it is polite to limit noise during the late night/early morning hours.
  13. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

No snowblower, no loud exhaust, and it's a large religious institution lot in a mostly residential neighborhood. 1 block away they haul snow all night off of a major thoroughfare.
  14. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I think it is unreasonable for them to get pissed. Are these same unreasonable idiots going to get pissed at the city or county trucks that are plowing/salting the roads at the same time?
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  15. theholycow

Do those trucks stay in front of their house for a half hour with the noise of a Tecumseh 8HP?
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Get a Honda
  17. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I plow resis, in an up scale neighborhood, I plow 24/7 Ive gotten 2 complaints both from my customers.
    1)When I lowered the plow He was afraid my plow hitting the driveway was going to damage it.
    2) it would wake him when I plowed could I plow quieter? I said I can plow you last. No no, get me done so I can get to work.
  18. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I do mostly residential with two 2 stage blowers. My customers know I have a route and they have to wait their turn. I only have one customer where I need to have them cleared by a certain time. 10am, 12am, or does not matter depending on the day of the week.

So for me if it stops snowing at 11 pm they have no problem waiting till day light at 7am to start. Being I work mostly residential I try not to disturb neighbors.

Those that do malls, large shopping centers, there is usually enough buffer space to not disturb neighbors.

So use common sense.

I did one customer at the end of the season. Late afternoon to finish the clean up they started in the morning. They said the husband and wife had to leave to get the 5 am, and 5:30 am train. They said just had to get their driveway behind their cars open then you can come back when convenient to finish. I said OK. Well never any more storms that year.

Who knows if I would of had complaints.
  19. theholycow

I'm a huge fan of Honda small engines (and otherwise no fan of Honda), but mine is no quieter than any other small engine...just trouble-free and incredibly easy to start.
  20. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ever notice when your out plowing at 2 in the morning how many homeowners are out snow blowing their drive? Go do your job and don't worry about anything.