1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Approach

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OffRoadPlow, Jan 10, 2003.

1. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Been forgetting to ask... If you had seen this how would you handle it?
    I was getting fuel with our last snow at a rather large gas station of course noticing the maintain of the lot. Just as I am thinking about it a truck comes in dropping the plow and scrapes about a 100 feet of the half inch that was on the ground to the piles in the back, I would think he was cleaning up the last of what had fell. Normally not a big deal but he could not have been going less than 40mph, sparks jumping with from the steel blade everywhere. He continued to plow with about the speed for most of the lot that he could when I was watching him... So my question, what to do? I will leave it open to opinion, as I would like to hear how you would approach this, speak to the driver, to the store, to his company, or do nothing. I do not want the account because of location, but with the possible danger involved with plowing like this I figured something should be said.

*Let it snow* *Please*

2. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Unless you felt that you were in some sort of danger, I think I would just MYOB. (Mind Your Own Business) And remember it for when you see the guy on the road, and stay well clear of him !

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like to make waves unnecessarily

3. firemedic680

firemedic680 Member
    from BG Ohio

Since you said you didnt want the account i would complain to the manager as a concerned customer of the gas station. It would be up to him to cool the jets on this guy if he thought it was needed. I highly doubt if the guy on the plow would give two thoughts of what your opinions are since you are not paying his bill. Now if it was me , and either the manager or a customer of a client of mine had something to say with the way i was doing something , i would listen. But then again i wouldnt be dropping a plow at 4o MPH anywhere , let alone a parking lot / gas station with people out. Just $.02
    Scott

4. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I agree I would just mention it to the manager of the gas station. Also 40 mph in a gas station is just plain stupid:nono:. Gas stations have alot of obsticles you have to watch out for when plowing.

5. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

I would agree with fire and with the sparks that were flying around and the gasoline that was being put into your truck and any other cars... I am sure you and most everyone else has seen the video just in the last couple of months out of NJ I think with the guy who fueled a gas can in the bed of his truck and the spark ignited the gas... so it could happen to anyone near the vapor with "sparkey" the plow driver around... and if it does happen and you could have prevented it.. .how would you feel....

I think personally the guy is an idiot for plowing that fast around gas vapor which can be ignited around its flash point of 200 degrees or so I think.

Just my .02 worth.....

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I didnt know Nate traveled that far to plow.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

uh oh, here we go again:nono: :nono: as far as your situation, id just leave it alone. if you wanted the account, i could see talking to the manager, but otherwise you are just wasting your time.

8. OffRoadPlow

Yeah, I can see all point's that is kind of why I posted it. Glad to see not everyone feels the same on it. I just decided to leave it for now, I am out there to plow the fam. after it snows and just figured the next time I see it happen I might just speak it as a concern to the manager, you never can tell just by a one time event so I figure I would not want to cause problems.

Thanks for the posts, it was helpful... :drinkup:

9. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

leave it alone, maybe he was just having a really bad night! If I saw him doing it next time I would probably say something to him directly.

10. windmill

windmill Senior Member

We've got a plower here who does the same thing comes into the account going at least 50 - 60 km/h (30m/h - 40 m/h) and drops the blade. All you see is a cloud of snow until he's done, I'm sure his vehicle is still moving forward while he's already looking back with the truck in reverse. He dosn't care to much though, he has a wrecking yard full of trannies and motors. He's very fast . . and proud of his speed. I just like getting the job done well and going home with no dents.

11. hoagie

hoagie Member

Probably just a kid working for someone else...

I know I've beat the heck out of some other peoples work trucks when I was 17 or 18.

Wouldn't catch me doing 40 in a gas station though.:eek:

12. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

Must be a pretty big gas station. It would be hard to get up to 40 in any gas station I know.

13. I think I would leave my card with the station owner and not say anything. He will need a new plower sometime in the future (after this guy hits a pedestrian or something else) and by then maybe you will need the job!

14. OffRoadPlow

Great threads, Yes, the station is huge compaired to most with about 20 reg pumps, and a dozen or so for the rigs, not too far off the highway. Thinking about it, it might be a nice account to have, but I am not one to take jobs without knowing the whole story :nono: so I think I will just wait until next time.

15. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

The plow must trip big time when he hits one of those raised fill covers for the fuel in the ground. Unless he knows where each and every one is at and avoids going that speed over them. I highly doubt though he knows exactly where they are perfectly. When he hits one of them at 40mph, he will slow down, hehe. My dad owns a gas station and I work there and plow it. I go extremely slow when I plow the place and I go even slower when I know one of those fill covers is coming up. I dont know EXACTLY where they are, when everything is snow covered, but I have a pretty good idea. Mike

16. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i used to plow right over the fills at the stations i plow, but after years of plowing, the concrete slowly broke down around the fills, and one storm two of them sheared off. Mobil oil replaced all of em cause they were do, but standard procedure now is the station puts cones on all the fills and i just plow around and heavily salt the fills after shoveling the snow away from em.

17. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Leave it be,

I doubt it was 40, maybe 25. I mean can you make a 90 degree corner at 40?

Geoff

18. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I would let it go, And like GeoffD said, i doubt if he could have been doing 40, sometimes it looks like people are going faster than they realy are. My plow will make sparks at 10-15 mph and yours probly does to you just don't see it. (unless you have a U edge ;) )

Gslam88, By the way, gasolines flash piont is -50 degrees F, ;)

19. wyldman

wyldman Member

I though the flash point was even lower.As low as-38 I believe.I remember -40 to -45 from way back in fire training.

20. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

-50 is lower than -38 :) I'm also remebering it from fire training.