1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Applying sand/salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by WOODY367, Aug 27, 2014.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

This will be my first year spreading sand/salt. I am going to us the Snowex bulk pro 1575. Is there a formula like so mant lbs per sqft or something like that? I know it will all depend on conditions andmaterial but would like a rough idea and maybe rate others are charging. Thanks

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Did you make this decision on your own due to the salt situation, or by client demand?

Regardless, CYA... check with the municipalities you plan on doing this in. Many around here won't allow it and will fine you hard when they catch you doing that.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Salt sand sucks!

Why not straight salt?

4. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

2 clients are requesting it this year. I can do straight salt.

5. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

750 lbs per acre on salt

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

In your case talk to the muni to make darn sure they approve it.

Most property managers/building owners are clueless about this. It's not their infrastructure you will be harming. And it won't be them who gets punished violating that ordnance...it will be you. And don't think that just because someone spec'ed it in their SOW/RFP you have a green light to do so. Toilet-paper will have more value to you than that document.

This is not one of those things where asking for forgiveness is less painful.

CYA