1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

applying liquids

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by chev2500plow, Jan 17, 2009.

1. chev2500plow

chev2500plow Member

I was wondering can the liquids replace bulk salt or is it just for pre treating.
    would liquids work after plowing, or to melt an inch of snow. Any feedback would be great
    thank you.
  2. turboguy

turboguy Member

My two cents worth would be that no, they can't replace salt but they can reduce the need for salt a lot and also save you time and money but it is not a total solution. There will still be times and situations where salt will work better and there will be times and situations where liquids will work much better.

Can you melt 1" of snow. That is a tougher question to give an totally correct answer to. Liquids are most effective before a storm but lots of guys are melting one inch of snow with liquids. You will need a heavier application rate and I would suggest a straight stream nozzle ranther than a fan. You will probably find some differences of optinions on this question.
  3. Salisbury1975

Salisbury1975 Junior Member
    from Detroit

well said, that's about exactly our experience.Plan on plowing 1".