1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

applying liquid to salt as spreading

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bluespruce, Nov 18, 2009.

1. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

i was hoping to find a post on here that would discusses some of the pros and cons to applying calcium chloride to salt as it exists the spinner.
    I have ordered a snow ex 7500 vee box i have had a few other vee boxes and i am looking forward to a electric system. i also ordered a pws100 or 30/20 gallon with two nozzles to apply liquid to the salt right at the base of the shoot. it should be in tomorrow and here in Michiganin my area its pretty new to spread any liquid and i haven’t found any locals that treat their salt. i have heard that it can cut ur salt use in half, i am not really expecting 50% but would like to start working into liquid as an option.
    i was hoping to find some ppl that are doing this and see how it’s been working how they figure there cost. bc ur using less u adsorb the increase profit is there a profit or does it work out. has it increase ur working conditions of the salt in lower temps. if u spread a ton how many gallons are u spread along with it.
    the unit i bought only comes with an on off switch how have u changed ur spread amount a value or more comprehensive switch. any information would be interesting and appreciated
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Try a search for "pre wetting" salt
  3. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

This year we also purchased a Snow-ex salt spreader with a liquids system. This is our first year using it. We are also eager to see what the capabilities will be. When attending the snow symposium in Ky, we learned from one of the speakers to treat your salt with 2gal per ton of salt and anything more will just reduce bounce and scatter. There are many people who suggest using something like 8gal per ton although that will create more of a slurry. I think the application rate will depend on conditions. We will be starting at around 2gal per ton and moving up from there when adapting to different temps. Our controller from snow-ex allows us to adjust to flow. There are also some liquids that don't work well in warm conditions, so we try and avoid liquids in till temps drop well bellow freezing. Just my 2 cents. Hope it works well for you, Good luck.
  4. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

ite does help hearing the 2gal a ton twice makes lets me know that is the standard. well good luck with urs to