1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Applying De-Icer to walks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ChucksChevyPages, Jan 9, 2000.

1. ChucksChevyPages

ChucksChevyPages Guest

Anyone have a better method for applying deicer to long runs of narrow sidewalk? I use a 5 gal. pail, and a 2lb coffee can. Seems the easiest, but i have to walk back and refill often on some of my longer walks. I've tried stacking buckets on a hand truck, but on slick areas, it's a little hard to push and control. Trying to come back, with empty pails on it is no picnic either.<br>Using a spreader would be wasteful. Even a shield mounted on the spreader would be tough, since the hopper door would have to be open at least enough to let #1 rock salt through. Calcium pellets, or other ice melter pellets would be another story.<br>Anyone apply liquid deicers to walks? Use a drop type spreader on walks?<br>How do you apply deicer to your walks? I'm talking about the 36&quot; wide walks, that are along roads. Some of my runs are 100' + long.<p>~Chuck<p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I use a toro worman with a tow behind spreader. This is one a property with like 3 miles of walkways. I can plow them with a truck if the driver is good, but we started plowing them with a tractor. Maybe i will put a spreader on that and get the toro out of the snow. Then just keep the bags of ice melt in the front bucket, because the blade attacges to the front of the bucket. I think you can put a single stage spreader on a e point hitch, if ya can i make it fit. I would think you could use a good fert spreader to spread the ice melt. <p>Chuck i think your brother has f___ up his plow frame if he has trouble putting it on his truck or off it. Even my oldest plows 5 years, i can still slide in and out like they are brand new.<p>Geoff
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We use small rotaries with shields mounted on them. Last year we did a site with about 3 mi of walks and two guys could spread everything with two spreaders in about 45 min. We parked the truck in the center and filled up like 2-3 times. Only need to open the door about 1/2 way and walk at a nice medium to slow pace.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
  4. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

We use liquid from a srayrig on the back of a truck which works well up to 100ft from the truck.If the walk is farther than that we found that using a 5 gallon pail works best,but try using a plastic grain scoop you have more control with the scoop and do not waste to much this way. The scoop reduces those mounds of ice melter which tend to land where you do not need them.<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Chuck if they are along roads then we cheat and get close with the truck and spread material from the v box. It uses extra material but labor is nothing. When it is snowing speed = $$$$$$$$$$$$<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

I could do all the walks we plow with a salt shaker. LOL We don't do any. From what I've heard, this winter you could use a salt shaker too. :)<br><p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html