1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Apply salt while it's still snowing?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JohnDeere2320, Jan 7, 2010.

1. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

I take care of the sidewalks at a local hotel and they want the snow cleared at 1 inch increments. If its snowing hard would you guys apply salt at every visit even if the salt can't keep up? My thinking is that in the case of a slip and fall, I could at least say that salt was applied. It just seems wasteful to apply salt that won't keep up with snow only to come back an hour later to blow the salt off the sidewalk and re-apply it.

Thanks for your thoughts. Mike
  2. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

of course we do. if you put enough down it will continually melt and the front entrances will always be safe.
  3. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

it will also keep ice from bonding to pavement
  4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

we always apply salt after a plowing or sidewalk clearing even in an ongoing storm. if its snowing hard, salt smaller areas after you plow them
  5. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

we do the same...it keeps the bottom wet and when you push the snow it comes up a lot easier and cleaner. that way when you apply the final salting it melts it off real good
  6. dchr

dchr Senior Member

We salt the walks every time they are cleared for all the above mentioned reasons.
  7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Funny, I just did this yesterday, and was wondering why I did. Had a steep drive from an underground parking area that I thought would benefit from salt if tire slippage occured. Maybe it would help a car get up a hill, but I don't think it would keep a person from slipping and falling with a wrong step. It really is a waste of salt if it's snowing harder than the salt can work. You just end up plowing or blowing it back into the surrounding landscape, where it damages plants, grass, environment in general. If your doing removal at 1" increments I would skip it.