1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Applications

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Joe Podolsky, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Joe Podolsky

Joe Podolsky Junior Member
    from 45120

Sorry I hit the tab button. Not very user friendly.

Back to the question at hand.

I don't care who posts what---I want info.
    I have been checking out the products for 6 months.
    I get conflicting stories, and no one wants to say what the applications rates or what temp. to apply.

So all you people who are not supposed to advertise on the site----This is you chance.

Ice Ban---Pros and cons. Application of products.

Majic-----Pros and cons. Application fo products.

Thanks
    Joe

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Speaking stricly from a coated salt angle, your application rates will be the same as non coated salt. But the product will work longer, melt more snow/ice, and have a residual effect on the next winter event. So your overall usage will drop10-25% depending exactly on conditions. If you are using a salt /sand mix, you can drop the sand end of the equation and save clean up costs as well.
    In granular form they can be applied at any tempurature.
    Once you get into liquids you have a totally different animal.
    Dino

3. Joe Podolsky

from 45120

Thanks Dino:

What I am looking for is the application for the
    liquid. I know it is (by guess and by golly) till you learn.

But what are the general do's and don'ts.

Joe

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Joe,I can only help a little,Ive used Magic salt,and straight salt this pastyear.Pro's of magic salt,my loader bucket isnt rusted up after loading up my spreader,same for the conveyor chain.When applied it has a residual effect,and a thin coating will keep the bond from forming,even in heavy trafffic areas,so whne you come in to plow,its all slushy,and scrapes right up.Another pro,it doesnt harden after its been sitting,andit is much safer on concrete,and around landscaping.Cons,it is more expensive,and the coating will wash off the salt if you leave your hopper uncovered,or apply in freezing rain.As for rates,no one will tell you becasue they vary according to site conditions,shade,sun,ground temp,and slope,only you wil know how much you need at a particular site,after experimenting.

5. Joe Podolsky

from 45120

The Secrets of Financial Success

Since there were no real good post on the subject, I ordered a book on (High Profit SNOW REMOVAL SERVICES).

The e-mail address is ( gomco@attglobal.net).
    It has everything that I need in it, and more. I hope it helps the rest of you guys that are looking for info you can't find.

Joe

6. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Joe-

Just for your information, don't think there was a lack of posts because people were being unfriendly. It really is a tougher question to answer than you would think. Rates vary depending on deicing material type, type of precip, temp, sunlight exposure, etc. Others have explained this in the past and as they always say..."do a search on the subject." ;) If you have more specific questions, I will try to help as much as I can.

If you want a ballpark idea, figure 10-15 lbs per 1,000 sf as an average. Again, your experience will dictate more than numbers we can throw at you. Also, those that use bulk material pay less attention overall since it is more economical than bagged material. Guys spreading bagged out of a tailgate unit should be able to give you a better idea since they pour it in the spreader in 40,50, or 80 lb. increments.

Don't expect 10-15 lbs per thousand to suffice every condition mother nature can throw at you. I hope I have helped.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2001
  7. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

That figure also works for me. About 15 lbs per 1000sf always carry more then I'll need and throw down extra where I need it.

BTW There's more information here then you'll ever find in any book.

Casey

8. Irrigation

Irrigation Junior Member

Joe,

It's good that you are wise enough to know that you have to play with the rates a little because we all have a great deal of variation in our geographic locations. Here is a fact -
    In central Ohio, a field test was done using ICE BAN.
    In the test they treated one ton of salt with eight gallons of ICE BAN and that truck went 50% further than without ICE BAN.

one ton of bulk salt - $50.00
    eight gallons of ICE BAN - $10.00
    Thanks to the ICE BAN you make $15.00 more for every ton of salt that you apply.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I would be very surprised to find any salt treatment in liquid form that cheap. Prices I see have it at about 2-3.00 per gallon, plus application time.
    Dino

10. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I just purchaced 150 gallons of Ice Ban ultra M at $1.60 gallon
    I can get Ice Ban summit M about 25 cents cheaper. I am going into my first year using liquid deicers. and I am not going to pretreat salt. I'm going to spray it using a tank and boom set up for parking areas and roadways. I have a hand wand for sidewalks. I was told that as a rule of thumb to spray 1 gallon as far as you would 50# of salt granules.

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have never used liquids but I have researched them. I think there is quite a bit more to it then that. Talk to some more people on this site and be prepared to waste a little experimenting.