1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Application rates for liquid calcium

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by trustyrusty, Jan 22, 2009.

1. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

Does anyone have a recommended application rate for liquid calcium chloride for pre-treating roads? We are trying to get into liquid, and one customer wants a price on pretreating some steep grades in their subdivision but we don't know how to price it as we haven't used liquid so far and all the guys I've talked to mostly use it to melt ice, not pre-treat. Anything might help. Thanks.
  2. saynow

saynow Junior Member

I actually talked with a rep. from Jericho Svcs. which supplies my supplier with 32% cal. chl. and he told me for a pre-treat to use 5 gal. per acre. I couldn't believe it but that is what he said that is all it takes to prevent the bond from forming between the snow or ice and the pavement. I tried it as a pre treat at that rate on a commercial lot and the snow didn't didn't push off any different than normal. I also put it down at 50 gal/acre once before a wet snow, it got REALLY cold very quickly after and it turned to a sheet of ice so be careful about how much you apply and what temps will do shortly after removing the snow.