1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Apartment rentor says blower scratched bumper

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mklawnman, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Had a call this morning from a guy who lives in an apartment complex that we plow for says that my blower guy got too close to his bumper and scratched it and left a mark. I went and ask my snowblower guy, which is my dad, and he said he didnt even get close to any cars, our rule of thumb is 2-3' from cars. We have been doing this place for over 7 years now and havent had an issue like this come up. If something did I know he would say something.
    Im waiting for these pics he took to see what the scratch looks like but Im skeptical. He says when he was removing snow from his car he noticed it and saw the tracks near the car, or so he says. But along side of his car snow is 1' away or so. I just dont know if i believe this guy or if he's trying to pull something to get a free paint job or free money.
    For now I'm not giving in.
    Any thoughts?
  2. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I would tell him to go @#$%%^^$#$B %%#%#% lol . But thats just me and its not my account .
  3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

in order for your insurance to cover it, he would need hard evidence not just speculation...but to be on the safe side, can you get the manager to write a letter stating you've never had an incidences before?
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Bring the blower over and decide with your dad if the blower made the mark. You will be able to tell pretty wasy when you place the blower beside the car.
  5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

If you are confident in, and trust your dad, just tell him sorry but you talked to the staff at that property, and you are certain they did not do the damage. Who cleans the snow off their bumper anyway? And, of the people who do clean off the bumper, who cleans it off so well, they can find a scratch under the remaining snow. It's BS.
  6. Well he blows the piles that run off the edge of the blade that pile up along the parked cars, just had 12" of snow up here so, but I dont understand how it could happen, I wanna see the picture so see if there is a yellow mark or not on his car, its a JD blower. My dad is also one of the owners as well in the complex. But I think he did notice a scratch on his car and just figured hmmm the snowblower guy did it. I just dont understand because if its that big of a scratch you would see that as your blowing and stop and back off, you can easily see what you are doing from the seat so i think its alot of hot air.
  7. redman6565

is at least a nice car? i hate the people that get pissed off about their 1989 Honda Accord with 300,000 miles, acting like that damn thing is worth more than $800.00
  8. He says its a Silver Impalla, IDK what year but I just think this is just a hunch by this guy and we are the first to get blamed, But if it comes to that we will get the blower out and see if it matches up. Its only a single stage blower so not a tall blower.
  9. redman6565

good luck bud
  10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

How long that guy live there?

Sound new guy and try get you pay for paint on his car free.
  11. Im thinking hes a new tenant since he wasnt there last year
  12. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Worst case scenario, if you have to turn it in to insurance, they will make FOR SURE that you caused the damage before paying. Just don't let them pay it out of "good faith" if you don't think your dad did it. Best of luck.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  13. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

if theres any scratches on your blower you can blame his car, because unless he has proof, its his word against yours. or just tell him to buy that scratch fixer and in a week he wont notice it
  14. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

if he tries to make an insurence claim, make sure that you deffinatly make it worth it cause im sure your rates will go up alittle bit and its the fact you have a clean insurenc for snow removel and now this broke ass is going to mess it all. prove him wrong!
  15. Yeah good call on that, I just dont know, gonna be hard to prove his word vs my word unless its clear evidence and I havent seen pics yet .
  16. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

I had this tried against me, one of my long time customers. my ariens is orange and there was a red paint mark, she said it way my blower, at the time, 8 years ago, I would go around my customers car with the shovel, drag the snow out from under the car and blow it away, because of this, now I leave plenty of snow between where I clean and the edge of the cars to make sure I do not even come close to the cars. By the way, I denied it and showed her my blower and she still said it was the blower, but never went anywhere.
    Also, let them do the proving, do not give him that, I would trust my father and his word against anyone, but at the same time you never know the thing might have jumped and not noticed, it happens.
    Good luck, but do not give in unless you have to give information. if it goes further notify your insurance company to make sure you put them on notice and give them your side of the story, never hurts to put them on notice. Also he might be able to get your info/insurance from the property company
  17. big acres

big acres Senior Member

This is the right answer. Take pictures of the blower next to the bumper... maybe you did do it, maybe not. These people always blame the plow guy. Probably happened in the mall parking lot and went unnoticed.

We have become freakin equipment forensic experts... denied the allegations, laid out our case to both insurance companies, and retained the account with no problems -and no claims paid.:nod:
  18. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Did he file a police report? If you are confident that your dad is not responsible for the supposed damage then I would meet him AND the local police at the same time.
  19. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

you scratched my bumper!

20. redman6565

doesnt sound like it. which further hurts the accuser's case