1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Apartment/HOA Snow Emergency Rules?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by edrenckh, Feb 4, 2014.

1. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

I am a plow guy, but I am also trying to develop a set of snow removal rules for the HOA I own property in. It is a rascal to plow. Lots of cars, lots of garages, a private street, etc.

What do the places you plow have for rules? Can you plow the entire place in one plow? How many times do you come back? Do they make everyone move off the property and park somewhere else for the day/night? Is it time based? Do they post any signs, permanent or ad-hoc?

I know cities just declare the Snow Emergency and tag and tow. I prefer to just get an efficient rule.

Any information would be appreciated to see how other places handle plowing.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Got a pix of this place? Google Earth maybe?

3. NThill93

NThill93 Member

if there's stuff in the way the snow stays. Thats why they have garages.

4. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

I do a couple of small apartment complexes, rules are no overnight parking in laneways and snow piling areas. Any accumulations over 2-3'', Cones are moved in the morning signaling the okay to move cars to other designated areas. Cars are expected to move within about 1-2hrs. Snow is then cleared in "their areas". Cones are then moved back out of runway areas signaling there return from NO overnight parking areas by 6-8 pm.
    Cones are only to be moved by my company. Accumulations under 2-3'', sidewalk crews are responsible for snow and ice between cars.
    This works for me, may not work for your place.
    Hope this helps

5. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Depends on the property. If most are homeowners typically they put the car in the garage and actually care about making the snowplowing go smoothly (as they know it will cost more if it's harder). On rental townhomes/etc the renter really has no reason to care so they leave the cars anywhere.

In a nut shell if it is mostly homeowners one time through works well as they will get the cars out of the way.

If it is mostly renters best plan is to do a open up then have a notice to have everything out of the way 24 hrs later or so. Costs more but only way to do a good job.

I'm fighting the renter deal at a HOA that I thought was homeowners but now have figured out it's mostly renters. We plow once and keep 3ft from any car. Renters don't get it and complain and the landlords don't want to pay any extra trip charge. Property manager gets it. So it is what it is.

6. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

We've done big apartment complexes, hoa's, etc over the years. THe last two years doing 4 government funded apartments. None have ever been good except for one. These 4 we are doing now are always full of cars and headaches but we do what we can with a truck and skid and leave the rest, what do I care? We surely aren't coming back for free and we never get calls to anyways. Less area to plow if you ask me

7. myzx6

myzx6 Member

My town does alternating parking which works really well, odd days of the month park on one side of street and even u park on the other side. When a storm happens everything gets pushed to the open side then the next day the opposite side gets cleaned, we have mostly off street parking. Not sure if this system would work for you in some shape or form

8. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

Thank you for all of the responses!

It is a 98% rental community, which makes it difficult.

An aerial view can be seen here.
    http://wescotthills.com/Pictures/WescottBirdsEye3.jpg

The current rule is all cars must be moved to a plowed area after the plows come through. We generally put up notices, mark cars, and then tow. Some cars would sit for months if we did not tow.

I dont want to use a one-pass rule, as the place would look like crap.

Odd/even is tough, as we only have one side of the street. All apartments have a 2-car, tandem garage, but the renters don't use it. They fill it with junk. In MN, I would be using a garage at all costs!

I think we will use a similar strategy for next year, but use more notifications early in the year, and tow a bit faster. Have a 24 hour rule/deadline. When people see their cars or their neighbor cars towed, they seem to remember.

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I don't do condo's, just parking lots... but here's one that is common sense to me yet completely eludes about 99% of the population.

"If it is snowing, or a storm is expected, do not park your car in front of the snow stacking piles."

How are we supposed to plow if there is no place to stack the snow?

I asked a guy (an engineer) once to move his van just two spaces over so I could plow and pile (he was coming back from lunch). He refused at first, says that's where I park every day. I explained why it was a problem, he said that's my problem not his, he wants that spot because he can start his van with the remote start from his desk there without having to stand up. I went on to explain that it WOULD be his problem if I stacked all the snow in front of his van since he was blocking me from working... he had a bit of a fit and made a point of roosting me with snow as he moved it. Fine... he got 'downsized' about two weeks later, so it was never a problem again.

I have this problem on two sites in particular, one full of engineers (smart people, right?) and the other a grocery store next to a car dealership... the dealership people prefer to park in the grocery store lot rather than their own. Even had one once that parked directly behind my trailer (ramps down) while I was working with the tractor on site. Before he could walk off I pulled up beside him and said "You're kidding, right? A completely empty parking lot and you choose the one spot that forces me to have to move my truck and trailer before I can load the tractor back on?" He was completely oblivious to what I was saying, but moved his car...

10. Mike_C

Mike_C Senior Member
    from Jersey

Same here. I plow a condo that has garages, everyone parks inside, but if the cars outside thats their problem not mine.