1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Apartment Complexes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chief Plow, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I took a call to bid on a 8 apartment complex the other day. I went and looked at it. Very tight and nowhere to put snow, you would be hauling quite a bit out every storm, or at the very least every other. My first thought was is this the right address. Nothing jived with what the guy told me over the phone. Anyways it was the right one. I turned the job down, because I figured the cars getting moved when I wanted them moved would be a nightmare... And wasted time is wasted $$. My question is how do you guys that do these get the cars moved when you need them moved, and do you change your price structure for such a inconveinence? There are alot of these type complexes in my area, and I wonder if it is worth getting into these for next season.

Thanks
    Rick

2. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Since most people work the 8a-5p daily thing you have to put things in your contract that say...only roadways will be cleared before certain times and that parking areas will be cleared between certain hours and only if there are 3 or more consecutive spaces..etc etc.... I would only do it by the hour also. I HATE apt complexes :drinkup: Also make sure you take into account DAMAGE control...to many cars

3. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

We do a lot of apart/condo places.
    As already stated, be very clear in your proposal/bid/contract.
    With all of them you'll need to make 2 or 3 trips per snowfall event, depending on how picking the account is. Also, hourly rates are virtually a must. Some places refuse to do that, but then their seasonal or per push prices reflect the appropriate time.
    In order to do a good job on daytime clean-ups, you must move very slow and methodically. If you move like you do at night you'll bounce off cars like a pin-ball machine. This is why you need to go hourly.
    Many people do not want to plow these places because they take time and daytime plowing in lots where cars are constantly moving can be a nuisance. However, if you take your time organizing your bid, and accept that daytime work will take longer than evening work,apts and condos can, and are, very profitable.