1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Apartment complexes and townhomes variation in per storm pricing by inch

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Received a bid request today for two townhouse complexes "one is apartments". One is much smaller than the other, but i'll elaborate on the odd price structure on the much larger site.

NO sidewalks are included for these prices, strictly plowing

small site is $170 per salt app, its small, two small roadways of parking lanes, 0-2" price is $250 and $390 for 2-4". 10-12" is $1000 plus per inch., or about 4x the 0-2" price.

The LARGE site, which happens to be right across the road, is $1500 for 0-2" storm and $2700 per 10-12" storm, which is not even 2x the rate of the 0-2" storm.

I worked out percentage rates for each tier and for this Large site, the % increase per tier is between 12-13% per every 2", which isn't anywhere near what we get in NJ for sites. Even small accounts are anywhere between 20-30%, usually someone will under bid you in the storm tier rates if you start going over 30% even if its justified.

By working out a 17% on the bottom end to a 27% at the 10-12" range, it comes out to almost $4400 instead of $2700. It would be a profiable account at less than 6" storms, but anything over, it starts taking MORE time to plow the additional snow every few inches and you're not paid much more for it.

anything 10-12" range, you're really working to stack snow and build mountains to keep the lot maintained during and after a storm before you get into "hoping" they'll pay any kind of hourly rates for a truck or machine.

Anyone bid condos, townhomes and apartments often? Is it just setup this way because the HOAs don't want to see a $4000+ price for a 10-12" storm?

We have retail/commercial sites that are well over 30% increase going from a 8-10" and 10-12" storm and then per inch rates are more.

FYI, although this account had a 10-12" price of $2700, their per inch rate was over $400!, so $2700 for the first 12" and $4000 additional for the next 10%, which is more on par with my bid of $4400 for the 10-12" range.

We'd need to keep a machine and push box at the larger site plus have a truck come in too.
  2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Seasonal. Boom.
  3. RWS81

RWS81 Junior Member

I agree, keep it simple
  4. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

seasonals are tough In central nj and south as some years we get nothing and other years we can get slammed. your pricing is right on point with my pricing for central nj. you would be beat at that 10-12 pricing. how big is the lot would depend on the per inch over. I have a 1.2 acre site that is $150 an inch over 12", so depending on the site 400 and inch could be way over priced .
  5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Glad we don't have to deal with that tiered pricing.

I could definetly see the games that could be played in bidding.
  6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

God I'd hate to bid stuff like that.

Would be a miserable ***** to make sure that some assclown didn't play with his numbers to "look" cheaper.