1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

apartment complex plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jakewith shovel, Dec 3, 2013.

1. jakewith shovel

jakewith shovel Junior Member

I plow two apartment parking lots both have about 50 parking spaces for the tenants and there is no assigned parking. Depending on the timing of the storm I would clear the lot allowing cars to get out of the lot and get to work then return later to clear the empty spaces. Some cars do not move for days after a storm, then if that spot is cleared it never seems to clean up as well as the others. Any ideas on how to get tenants to understand that if there is more cooperation on their part, and they move in a timely fashion the parking lot turns out better. I have tried the following with some success but I am still looking for the best solution.

1 Knock on doors tell tenants the need to move NOW
    2 Put up signs with times all cars need to be out of the lot (used this only after major storms for final clean up)

After the snow stops I usually do a few spots at a time as the cars eventually move,sometimes it takes a couple of days to completely clear a lot. I am on site every day because I manage the complexes but there must be a more effiecent way to plow apartment complexes. Others must have this same problem and what have you done to solve this

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

All the complexes I do has a $30 fine When we go back to do the finally cleanup The manager starts in one section starts telling people to move there cars 15mins before I get there They don't move them they get a fine of $30 added to there rent.

My smallest one has 125 parking spots biggest one has 450 spots
    Biggest one The cleanup is always done the day after a storm

3. mud

mud Senior Member

I plow a couple as a sub, and a few more that I own. All I can say is good luck. While most will, there will always be a couple that will not.

4. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Have them towed it will only need happen once, there are stupid people out there.

5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I have to fight the urge to hook a chain and move them myself.

Where I plow, I am there 40 to 50 minutes depending on how many are home and moving for me...and some asshat will call the manager every time because I leave before they get out to move their car.

Oh, and ain't it great when they will move the car to a clean space, THEN clean the snow off?

6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

No assigned spots at apartments? Those spots may not be assigned but they are claimed and come hell or high water that is their spot.

All apartments for us are different, we have some never movers and some that empty out for the most part before eight - it changes over the years.

We plow at night and clean spots up during the day, if things build up too bad, one place has the tennants move their cars - they do the door knocking.

When we're there cleaning spots, if we've done an area, it's done - you can move your car, sit there and stare at me all you want, I'm not going back to that area. Most learn, some don't - I don't want a bunch of people moving around in the area I'm working. If you want a clean parking spot, stop parking on that pile of snow.

For the most part, the places we do aren't packed with cars, the residents have the option of parking two spaces down so I don't feel bad at all when they drive past a whole row thats black and park on 6" of ice.

7. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Oh, and ain't it great when they will move the car to a clean space, THEN clean the snow off?[/QUOTE]

So I am not the only one to witness this, more than once I have people who waited come out well after we have cleaned around the vehicle move then come over and ask me to clean it. I tell them go see the property manager and explain why it will take more time to clean because of their request generally I don't mind as it is by the hour. If you can push up berms to keep people out of the work area I do this as part of a S.P.M.P (Stupid people management plan).

8. Antlerart06

So I am not the only one to witness this, more than once I have people who waited come out well after we have cleaned around the vehicle move then come over and ask me to clean it. I tell them go see the property manager and explain why it will take more time to clean because of their request generally I don't mind as it is by the hour. If you can push up berms to keep people out of the work area I do this as part of a S.P.M.P (Stupid people management plan).[/QUOTE]

I push berms up but that don't help last winter a guy in a car thought he could plow threw it with a car. I made some pocket cash then had pull him out.

Clean ups are hourly rate, So doesn't bother me none sit and wait for people to move there cars

9. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I do clean-ups for an arbitrary fee, depending on how long I take. So, if I have to wait, I charge more. Never get questioned, because I never gouge.
    Generally, I return when 90% of the cars are gone- 9-5 weekdays.

10. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

Same deal here. All to be moved to one side then back to what just got final scrape. Now, busy hotels i have had to deal with is a nightmare. Sounds easy but it ain't.

11. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

And im sure everybody love speed bumps to run over with plow

12. Antlerart06

Hotel/motels can be a pain at times but takes 2 visits to clean it Before check out and after check out .
    Im glad I don't have none any more.