1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Apartment complex parking lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gstone27, Sep 20, 2011.

1. gstone27

gstone27 Junior Member

I am giving a proposal to an apartment complex that has 5 large parking lots, that contain about 200 parking spaces per lot. The complex wants the lots accessible during snow, but wants the price to include"clearing of individual parking spaces" after the snow has stopped. Is this normal, and how do they expect you to do this if there are a bunch of cars in the lot? Any suggestions/comments would help. Thanks
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's normal,but try and get everyone to move their cars when your there.
  3. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

we would send someone back around 11 am to do clean-ups ... most folk if they were still home would come down and move the cars
  4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Human nature being what it is, will get some of those cars moved. Remember nobody likes to walk anymore than they have to (just look at a Mc'ds drive through & compare to the lines inside). Spots closest to the building entrances are the hardest to keep clean...so sometimes it's best to work from the outside - inward. There are always other factors to also consider. Some people say they hate apartments and hotels because of the clean up. I like them because I'm still making money, even when I come back the next day to do additional cleaning. So basically, I might at times be earning 2-1 of what other contractors have already finished doing the day or night before.
  5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Very difficult to clean all spaces even on return trip. There will almost always be some cars that won't move
  6. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

Charge them to keep it clean during the storm and charge them to clean it up after, bid everything by the hour that way if people drag their feet moving its in your favor.
  7. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

You will never get all the spots clean. We go back that night and plow the spots that people moved their cars from. But other than that, its all extra. The management company has to contact their tennants and get them to move the cars, then we come back a third time and plow it. Of course the third time is charged as an hourly rate with one way travel time and a certain amount of hours billed as a minimum. Most places complain about the charge but nothing is free. I am not going to go back out a day and a half after a storm to plow 10 parking spots for nothing.
  8. gstone27

gstone27 Junior Member

Thanks for the info from those of you that responded. That helps. I appreciate it!
  9. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I usually try and put a cleanup price (hourly) in there with a minimum. It's impossible to know how many cars will actually be there each time you plow. Sounds like a way for them to be cheap.
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What's more annoying is when you clean up a spot so dumb ass who cleans off his car and throws all the snow into the cleaned out spot.
  11. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

It will most likely be a pain, just add a little more to the bid for the hassle.
  12. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

As others have said, you do what you can. I quote my seasonal apartments anticipating 3 visits per average storm. 1 to clear the drive lanes, the second during the day to clear what spots I can, and the third the next day to touch up spots that have since opened up. We get the majority of them with this method. On larger storms, the manager posts notices for the tenants to move their cars before the 3rd visit, and they have a tow truck on standby for those that don't play ball. This is usually only a few times a year though. Bigger storms we end up with more than 1 open on the drive lanes, but we almost always wait until the snow is done to clear the parking spots, unless there's a big chunk of them open that we can windrow out quick, as the individual spots is by far the most time consuming part.