1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Apartment Complex Bidding

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by milesscott, Oct 16, 2012.

1. milesscott

milesscott Junior Member
    from 55112

Hi there. I am new to bidding snowplowing jobs. I own and operate a carpet cleaning company and have lots of apartment complexes I work for. Just recently I bought a 1 ton truck and 8.5 foot v plow and plan on expanding my business to include snow plowing. I have the opportunity to place bids for current customers. Most lots are .25 acres to 1 acre being he largest. I wont be shoveling walks just opening the lots before the morning or afternoon commute and then doing a full plow the next day when all the cars have been removed. I've been told that a person can plow 1 acre an hour when the lot is wide open with not much back dragging.

Questions:
    How much more should I charge per push for the am/pm breakthrough?

Is there a formula a person can use to charge per acre that includes the initial breakthrough and the full plowing and any clean up after?

What is a reasonable hourly rate for the Twin Cities of Minnesota?

I'm having a hard time accuratley estimating total time. Most properties have ample space for piling of snow and there is not much back dragging needed. The properties I am bidding on are within a 3 miles radius of each other. It will take me about 15 minutes to drive to this part of town.

2. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Have you ever plowed anything much less an apt complex? What is you overhead? What do you think is a "reasonable hourly rate"?

3. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Agreed if you haven't plowed before an apt complex isn't the place to start

4. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

If you don't do a good job plowing, you may lose your carpet cleaning accounts.

That being said.... Apts are a pain. You will always need to work around cars. The time it takes depends alot on the layout of the parking lot, and where you can push snow. If you've never plowed before, estimate your time and cost, then double it. If it takes 15 min travel time, better estimate 30 due to poor roads. Also, what if your truck breaks down. Do you have someone that can back you up?

All the best.:salute: