1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Apartment community plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowbunny123, Jan 11, 2010.

1. snowbunny123

snowbunny123 Junior Member
    from ohio

Hello all! I am so happy i've found this site, as i am hoping someone knowledgeable about snow plowing can answer a few questions for me. I am a property manager at an apartment community and it is my first winter supervising snow removal. I know very little about what our equipment is capable of and i don't always trust what the maintenance man in charge of plowing is telling me. Sometimes i feel like i might be asking too much of him because i am unsure of what can and can't be done with our plow. At other times i feel that what i'm asking of him is resonable and he is simply taking advantage of the fact that i am new at this. In our most recent snowstorm it was discovered by another staff member that the "pin" on the plow had been bent and therefore removed from the truck. As i understand it the "pin" or maybe "foot??" is ment to keep the blade from making direct contact with the pavement. Is it harmful to run the plow without the pin? We have never done this in the past and i was wondering what the consequences of plowing without the pin in place might be. Thanks so much for your advice / response. I hope to further educate myself about snow removal throughtout winter!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You mean the plow shoe ,you can plow without them gives it a cleaner scrapping of the snow but you do wear down the cutting edge a little faster.

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome Bunny.........

If you can sort through the sometimes sarcasm you will gain a wealth of knowledge here.

As far as your question goes, I have never used shoes on any truck I've plowed with. We have one site where we run them to limit damage to a parking deck. Anyway, worst thing that happens without shoes is wear of the cutting edge.

4. big acres

big acres Senior Member

We would use shoes only for extremely uneven or gravel lots.

5. snowbunny123

from ohio

Thanks so much for the quick response! And thank you for correcting my misude of terminology. Like i said before snow removal is all new to me so terms like shoe, pin, foot are like a foriegn language! What is the average life of a blade? Our was brand new at the start of the season. We just had our parking lots sealed and stripped this spring. Will plowing without the "shoe" damage the pavement?

6. grandview

Depends on what type of snow you get. if it;s wet and heavy all year you will use it up faster because of the weight of the snow weighting down the plow putting more pressure on it. Also if your scraping the lot of slush it will wear it out a little faster. Just depends on how much plowing is being done.

What type of truck and plow?

7. forestfireguy

If there is going to be any damage it will occur regardless of the shoes, as they ride on the pavement instead of the blade, not using them reults in the need for additional salt to get clean pavement. You may even be more likely to cause damage with the shoes. Life a a blade or a cutting edge? if you mean blade/plow assembly, most often it's the life of the truck, cutting edges depends alot on how much plowing you do and what type of snow you most often get, an average apartment lot, no roads, or high speed plowing, I'd guess years..........Besides edges aren't expensive, range from 100-125 to upwards of 400 for a set on a V plow. One thing to look out for, don't know your brand of plow, but often fischer plows do not come with a bolt on cutting edge, it's an add-on.

8. snowbunny123

from ohio

i'm not sure of what type of truck (except that it's a Ford) and i could not name a type of plow to save my life! I'll find out tomorrow and post then :) Is it harmful to back the salt spreader, which is on the back of the truck, into a huge snow bank and leave it parked there overnight? I was told this could damage the salt spreader by a 3rd party. Also, what would it take to bend the pin? Would hitting a curb do it? So much drama...i don't know who to believe so i'll just ask the experts on this site and start shocking my maintenance team with my newly aquired knowledge!

9. grandview

I would not back it into a snow bank ,you could bend something. Try not and leave salt in it either or you'll be chipping it out. Salt likes moisture and it will freeze.

PS can you tell us which part is broken?
    [​IMG]

10. snowbunny123

from ohio

The top part of the pin is bent into a hook shape.

11. forestfireguy

They'll be surprised for sure. Never back a spreader into a snow pile. Don't know what kind of spreader but nothing is cheap for a spreader, chute, shaft, bearings are all pricey. Nevermind not having it working when you need it.

As far as the plow, it's more informational I think. It's much more about the way it's used and by whom that anything else.

Hitting a curb could bend the shoe pin, but hitting curbs happens. Are your guys plowing in a cautious professional manner or are they out there to avoid being the behind a shovel or snowblower?? Are they making an effort at doing a good job and lack expierience and training?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  12. forestfireguy

If the washers were all on top the shoe was not holding the weight of the plow anyway.........and I can't see how it would bend in the fashion you describe unless it was hanging loose in the mounting bracket.

13. snowbunny123

from ohio

"Shovel"!!!! if i even mention that word to him it's like i insulted his mother or something! I always ask "Why can't you just handel that area with a shovel?" And i get 1,000 excuses in response. One of my guys strictly runs the snow blower and never complains about a thing. The one in charge of plowing has had some experience at it but i don't think he is using the equipment properly. His speed is too fast inn my opinion (i pray he does not take out a car when he's trying to throw the snone off a side street) i think he is trying his best, but he also has a know it all attitude and won't admit when he's wrong or in over his head. He has not fessed up about bending the pin and running without the shoes yet. He also busted the side mirror into a garage during our first snow storm.

14. forestfireguy

Not to be too critical but it sounds like you need a new guy behind the wheel.............

And he does work for you......Right? Figure out a way to make him conform, this is not the business for an attitude or a race car driver.

Check you visitor mailbox Bunny.

15. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Why don't you take pictures and post them on here, that way we know exactly what you are talking about, we can identify the truck, plow, problems, that will make it easier on us and on you, when we see pictures you will get more direct responses to problems and possible problems.

16. snowbunny123

from ohio

where is the visitors mailbox located?

17. forestfireguy

Look at the top right of the screen, under your name should say private messages maybe. Or across the top of the forum you might see user control panel.

18. snowbunny123

from ohio

i will take pictures of our equipment tomorrow and post them when i get off of work. Thanks for all of your advice and for sharing your knowledge. I'm really very interested in learning how this all works.

19. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

You certainly will learn a lot here.

20. snowbunny123

from ohio

i'm not sure i sent the mail repsonse correctly forestfire. did you recieve it?