1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aotomatic vs manual which do you prefer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ToyotaPower, Mar 15, 2003.

1. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

Which is better to plow with an automatic or a manual:confused: I replace a clutch every 2 seasons on my toyota truck ($800.00 later) but still cheaper than a transmission ?:confused: I am looking to buy a new truck this year, what would you recommend auto or stick :waving:
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

ToyotaPower, Welcome to Plowsite!:drinkup:

In the upper right corner of the page, you'll find the "Search" icon, which allows you to explore the archives of Plowsite. Here you will find instant answers to this question and several others you have posted. If you find your question has not been answered in your reading, then add a post to the existing thread and someone will surely help you out.

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yup, this was discussed pretty recently and most people agreed on automatic. Some like their sticks, but most, and me, go automatic. Welcome to PlowSite and as Pelican stated, you can find a ton of info using the search feature. So many common topics have been discussed in great detail. Mike
  4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Pelican is right. You should try to do a search. I am sure it have been discussed many times before.

I know that a majority of us prefer automatic. I learned that automatic is more beneficially than manual transmission. It may have a few downsides, but we see much more upsides of it than manual.
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

You should not need to replace the clutch on thay Toyota every two years. You need to change your plowing style. Use low range when stacking to save the clutch.

I changed my clutch when I bought mine and have plowed three years on it. Had to take it apart as the rear seal went bad. I replaced it but on inspection it had plenty of life left in it.
  6. myo

myo Senior Member

I like both auto and maual.
  7. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

In most cases the automatic is my choice!

Chuck B.
  8. Patrick Gleason

Patrick Gleason Junior Member
    from Chgo,il

transmissiom auto or standard

We use both and like the auto because it's easy on the driver and believe it or not a lot of younger lads don't drive manual trans,guess its a sign of the times,older guys learned on manual younger learnded on the autos.I learnded to drive in fathers 47 IHC KB6 dump truck,man was that a tank'.Seams as though the autos hold up very well as long as you maintain them and respect their limatations.Thats my two pennies worth.:rolleyes:
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Auto are by far the best for most applications.Only time I would spec a standard truck is for large open lots,or roads,in deep snow.Most of this type of plowing is very long heavy pushes,so a manual will give you more choice as to the correct gear,and will run a lot cooler.Long hard,heavy pushing really heats up the convertor,and fluid,on an automatic.
  10. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I think most guys will tell you that they prefer the automatic because with the manual you have to drive, change postitions on with the plow, and put the truck iinto gear so I would think it takes a lot of practice to get it right. With the automatic, you can drive with one hand and shift the plow with another.
  11. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I think it really depends on the size of the truck, and the type of people driving it.

12. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

Automatic, unless their were very special circumstances, such as roads or very large lots with very long runs. Even then, it would depend on preference.
  13. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I personally like manuals, actually I have only ever owned one auto. That was my first truck, (84 F-250 460 4X4) I hated it, not the truck but the tranny, I burned up trannys left and right. Had the truck for three years and in the time I went though 4 trannys (C-6) in 50,000 miles, and was also used on the farm that I worked for in high school, plus I just didn't like the whole put it in gear and go thing, I like to have control over what rpm's and gear that I am running. I pull trailers quite a bit also, my 99 has a gooseneck behind it about 90% of the time in the summer. And now I guess that I am just gun shy, plus I also learned to plow with my fathers trucks and all have his are mauals. just my .02 cents.