1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyway to re-wire the handheld for a midweight

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TonawandaNY, Aug 23, 2009.

1. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

I grew up playing flight simulators when I was a kid. So for me the handheld is backward in that I want to press top button for down and down button for up...

pull back on the flight stick to go up in a plane, you push forward to go down...

Seeing how I just bought a western midweight for my dodge ram 1500. It would be nice if I could get the controls to operate how I want them to work.

Steve

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not easily possible with the way Westerns hand held's function. I say "easily" because it is possible, but unfortunately requires a major re-wire, a bank of diodes and the knowledge of exactly what you're doing to make it work correctly.

3. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

You could switch the left\right hydraulic hoses around and then hold the handheld upside down.:waving:

4. TonawandaNY

Holding it upside down is what I did last year in a friends truck.

Just figured it might be nice if I could make it work the right way in mine.

Thanks,

5. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

No Problem, you can do it. It takes about 20 minutes.

6. TonawandaNY

How?

Please post detailed instructions.

Thanks,

7. #1 plowtech

1) remove 2 screws that hold the controller together
    2) cut or break the plastic post were the screw tightens into (inside the controller)
    3) remove the pc board/and faceplate as an assembly, re- install it upside down
    4) re-assemble handle,install short screw, and wrap a piece of tape or zip tie
    around the upper portion of handle.
    5) switch your angle hoses on pump.

as you hold the controller in the normal position
    your left and right is correct because you switched your hoses
    and
    since you installed the pc board upside down

top botton is down

bottom button is raise :)

Good luck, Plowtech.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Odd how I knew that would be your "easy" fix. Biggest issue with that method is that it places the power button on the bottom right in the way of your thumb...

9. #1 plowtech

Lets hope there will be enough snow to break him of the "flight simulator effect"
    and leave the controller alone. I believe in keeping it factory!!!!!payup

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Never worked for me, I run them all "backwards" regardless of flight time. :D

11. #1 plowtech

I hope thats not you driving "backwards" down the expressway!:)

12. TonawandaNY

Thanks for the tip! Anytime it requires breaking something and holding it back to together with duck tape or zip ties lol, I leave it alone:D

I geuss it is time to teach the dog a new trick and learn how to use the controller as it sits factory...:D

13. #1 plowtech

Just think, some 10 year old kid playing Playstation will be asking the same question in 10 years!!!