1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anything to worry about?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by AmPlower, Jan 12, 2003.

1. AmPlower

AmPlower Junior Member

Hi all, was wondering about the durability of my truck, I've been doing some plowing and pulling stuck trucks out with it and wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything to hurt it. I have a 91' 3/4 ton 8600lb GVW, 350/4L80E, Western Pro-Plow. The truck as 179K on the motor, tranny was completely rebuilt about 40K ago. The motor has been run on amsoil since around 50K, continues to run very strong, had a valce job 30K ago also. Should I have anything to worry about? So far its been great truck since I got it. Just looking out for what to do to preserve it and keep it running like a top. Thanks guys.

2. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Just make sure you change all fluids regularely and check the valves once in while.

3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Keeping good, clean fluids+lubricants in your truck at all times. Keep up with your reg. maint schedule, and let it snow!!:)

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Not to be a nit picker, but i dont beleive the 4l80E came out intil 1993, before it was the 4l80, same with the 700r-4(4l60)

When pulling on a stuck vehicle it is always best to use a snatch strap, it absorbs some of the shock before it eats the drivetrain. We always use them, and all my buddies offroad rigas have a strap, it really makes pulling easier for the truck.

5. AmPlower

AmPlower Junior Member

Thats strange, I have all the receipts for the big ticket items on the truck like the tranny rebuild. It says 4l80E on the receipt as it was completely rebuilt. Cost was something like $1500

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Well I've always been told that, and it seems to have been true. My service manual makes mention of it, so if it didnt come out until '93 it wouldnt be in a 91 or 92 manual, my mistake, maybe it was available earlier. I know that my 1991 has the non-electronically controlled model though.

7. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Late model year 91 would have the 4l80.