1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anything to ask about or for on a new install?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by GetMore, Nov 18, 2014.

1. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I am going to drop my truck off to have the plow installed, and I was wondering if there are any questions or requests I should think about asking/making.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No scotch clamps/clips for the electrical!
  3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Well, here's what installers did to my last two trucks which prompted me to do my own install this time:

Wired controller to constant power source, which drained battery. Left pair of wire cutters on top of battery. Ran supply cable across fuse box lid, preventing me from removing the lid. Poor connection for controller power, which came off during storm. Didn't use plug bracket to secure plugs (but kept the brackets). Didn't care for the chosen location of the solenoid.

I think that's everything, and what I'd check for if I was unable to do my own install.
  4. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

what plow? make sure it has smart lock cylinders
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Make sure the installer doesn't trip and fall into your vehicle with his air tools running so he can scratch the heck out of it before he composes himself!!
  6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Ask where they plan to mount the relays, mount the truck side plugs, mount the truck/plow light switch, where they plan to come through the firewall, shrink tube all butt convectors and use dielectric grease on all terminals.
    If you're getting a DXT makes sure they remove the "4" 1/2" shipping bolts on the trip edge.
    I'd advise you to read the installation instruction, inspect the install when you get home, check the oil level, check head light adjustment, check trip spring tension. check the toque of all the fastens, make sure the relay block is securely mounted, a grommet is around the wires that poke through the firewall and put dielectric grease on all terminals including the ones behind the cover for the solenoids and toggle for the hitch.
    This may sound over the top or excessive but that last thing you want if to have a install related issue during a storm.
  7. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Well, it is a straight blade, 8' Super Duty, with the NGE. Makes most of this a lot simpler.

Thanks for the advice!