1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anything other than timbren?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nelson4047, Dec 7, 2008.

1. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

i just got a 03 gmc sierra 1500 & put on a 7.5' western pro ultra i need to know if there is aftermarket parts (other than the cashy timbrens) to keep the front end up a little better. i cranked the torsion bars up some, one side was already cranked alomost all the way, i hear you can throw the alignment off cranking too far. has anybody tried air shocks in the front? any ideas would be great thanks jeff

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

There is a guy selling monroe muscle load supports on ebay real cheap, they are the same as Timbrens. I would zero the torsion bars and crank them about 5 turns. Being uneven, and or having one all the way tight really scares me.

3. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Most times from the factory they are not even. Best bet is have a qualified alignment guy set the ride height were you like it. Then have it aligned. Even one turn will knock it out of alignment and now that you've messed with them you'll need to have it set, or face tire wear, pulling, ect....

4. kakygp

kakygp Junior Member
    from Indiana

Get the air-over firestone bilstein combo.

5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

If he thinks Timbrens are "cashy" like he said in the original post, then I doubt he'd buy the air over shocks. I'd love some myself, but I'm poor.

6. mnic

mnic Junior Member

check out ebay suspension for chevy there are some new keys for torsion bar adjustment supposedly lifts it 3 inches?

7. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

For $150 Timbrens that hold an 8 footer with almost no bounce. I'm not complaining.

8. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I have to agree , I just got my Timbrens the other day... havent had a chance to get them in the truck yet. Not much in the box for a buck and a half,just a couple of rubber "cans"(about 2/3 the size of a beer can), a couple steel wedges and the bolts.

My 97 GM one ton only drops an inch when I lift my Boss 8.2 V. Still going to install them tho. I think all the different "helpers" I checked on were pretty pricey.

9. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Hockey pucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!