1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anything I need to do to help prevent breakdowns?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Gmoser, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Gmoser

Gmoser Junior Member

I am new to the site, I have wanted to ask this question for a while but didnt know really where to ask it this seems like the best place lol. I have a high miled 94 Chevy K2500 LIGHT duty 6 bolt axle pickup, I have a 7.6 steel Western plow (w/ deflecter if that matters). I see a ton of them plowing in my area (well half tons) and I know the owner before me plowed with this truck. What I am wondering is what I need to do to the truck to prevent breakdowns (Front end? Trans?) and overheating etc.. I just dropped a new motor in it and I replaced basically everying on the motor externally. I also put in a after market trans cooler, I am hooking up a trans temp sensor, I ripped out my air conditioner condenser (was beat to hell, figured it may cause less air flow), I just had the ball joints, pitman arm and idler arm replaced as well. The transfer case seal was leaking I replaced that too.

I am trying to replace as many things as I can afford to, just so I can have a peace of mind. I will be supporting my family (fiance, 2 babys) with this truck this winter, since a guy pulled out in front of me on the highway and totaled my Ford late summer (and my trailer luckily my lawn equip was fixable), leaving me with no back up truck for the time being (I will invest in one when the money is right, but for now this is all I got). I have a okay amount of accounts for a one man show I believe (2 small condo areas (roads,parking), a church, 20 drives) so like I said I just would like to have the piece of mind, I know things will happen and I will deal with them at that time, but I would like to hear some people with expierence with these trucks have to say.

All the advice will help, very much!! Thank you in advance!
  2. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

Sound's like you're front ends all good to go, good idea with the tranny cooler and temp sensor. The only problem you might run into is air flow. Did you put the stock fan back in with the motor? With plows they sometimes wont get the air they need to stay cool. But other than that, check u joints and differential fluids. And front wheel bearings as you said it's a high mile truck.

I'm actually about to buy the exact same truck(project for school)
  3. TomsSnowPlowING

TomsSnowPlowING Senior Member

I had a 1991 Chevy. I put an over size radiator in it to keep from over heating with plow on.