1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone work for nationals and have you ever seen a contract without arbitration?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NJSnowMgt, Aug 25, 2014.

1. NJSnowMgt

NJSnowMgt Junior Member

It appears all require costly arbitration prior to any lawsuits over disputes and many now require you to arbitrate and litigate in their home town/county.

so if you are a contractor from Maine working for USM, you must hire a lawfirm and travel to PA for any legal disputes "usually revolving around the management company not paying you or in full in the end.

What happens toward the end of the contracts, or many months after you've already long finished your work for the season, they pop up with contract disputes over how you serviced for the entire season.

If you chose to argue and fight for your money to be paid in full, you must first travel to their home town and then hire a new lawfirm, likely because the one that represents you in your state/town, isn't able to handle legal issues in that state and/or just way too costly to drive/fly him or her to another state for a full day or many occasions to attend arbitration or court hearings.

Think about it, the next time you sign a contract, as many mgt. companies understand that for anything less than $20,000 owed, you'll likely never seek re-payment for the services rendered because you'd have to spend that much or more in hopes to collect it.

There is HUGE weight in ONLY contracting with a management company that is local to you, which most aren't. if you have one local to you in your own state, you have much better chances at a long term relationship over the one season or shorter relationships with management companies out of your home state.

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I believe this has always been the case. You cannot make a defendant change his own venue.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

And you are governed by that state's statutes, some are more business freindly then others, a reason why DE is so popular to incorporate in and why their courts are so busy.

This is only for disputes over receiving payment, slip and falls are handled in the state of occurrence.

"COSTLY" arbitration is much cheaper than the courtroom.

4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Orrrrrrrr just don't sign with nationals. Every year, guys talking about not getting paid.........every year, more people to fill the void because "this time, it will be different"

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

And most cases the arbitration company that is handling it is paid by the company and not you. very hard to win even if you follow all the rules

6. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Never going to plow as a sub for anyone, especially a bunch of crooks like the nationals.

7. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

If everyone would stop working for national providers and accepting there ridiculous contracts we all would be better as an industry.

8. NJSnowMgt

NJSnowMgt Junior Member

True, you still may get a bill for half of the arbitrators fees daily.

9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

This is absolutely the answer but time and time again you see contractors say "Nationals have all the accounts, you HAVE to work for them". It's absolutely ridiculous.

Even if every member of this site refused to work for NSPs they'd be fine. We represent just a fraction of the total amount of contractors that are out there.

10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Please tell me how you get a store that a national holds the contract to.

I guarantee you there are more people that work for nationals that don't have problems than those that do

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Take Nancy Reagan's advice.

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Which quote...this one? It's one of my favorites....:drinkup:

“I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs.”

13. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Very true. There will always be some guy who will want to plow a Walmart for nothing. Once they realize there not making any money and they hold all the liability they might change there mind the next season.

I just have a hard time figuring why time and time again guys (especially on this site) knowing the risk, have heard the negative comments/feedback on not getting paid etc and still are signing up to work with the big boys.

14. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Until the NSP is unable to perform service at that location you're just going to have to find other accounts. Don't pigeonhole yourself into thinking the only large accounts are big box stores.

15. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Which will never happen.

We have nsp accounts. Some companies are better than others.

I work landscaping for nsp as well with no issues

16. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I sure hear much more negative than I do positive.

17. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Of course you do. That's how it is. No one praises only bitches.

If everything is going good why tell anyone. Only thing you hear is people whining and complaining

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

19. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

She was a Very Wise Woman...........:salute:.......:drinkup:

20. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

although i hate national companies we do have one of our larger contracts through a management company but this is the only company i would ever work for because they are one that will not screw you big time for the most part but i am trying to replace them this year so i dont have to work for any company anymore