1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone want to help a lady out with this @#$@ Western?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FordChick, Dec 25, 2002.

1. FordChick

FordChick Junior Member
    from Indiana

Tried to hook up my new plow this morning on my F250 and let's just say the video that I saw when I bought this darn thing is deceiving ... just drive right into it - NOPE! Ugh.

(It's an Ultra Mount V-Blade)

I'd line it up perfectly, drive into it and still it's too far away to lock correctly. What the heck am I doing wrong?
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

What are the problems you are having right now? Stupid qustions, but are your pins open to recieve the plow? If it at the correct height? I am no western expert, however if it is in line correctly and not locking that what i would check.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Make sure the lift ram is completly retracted. If it isnt, it make be limiting the head gear swinging up. Just a MM fisher if you will. Read all the directions on the back of the plow, and follow them, you might be skipping a small but important step.
  4. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

Pardon me but, Have you tried kicking it and swearing? Usually works for me......:D
  5. hedgehogg

hedgehogg Junior Member

Oh watch out for the broken toes!
  6. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

:D <-------- wears steel toes !!!!
  7. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i have learned with my 3 ultras that sometimes the trucks chassis may be higher than when you took it off last.all cars trucks have ride height.so after you take the plow off the truck goes up a bit.i found that bouncing it up and down a few times in the front helps.i use to install plows when i was a mechanic for ford.trust me check the height after u take the plow off then check it a few days later before u put the plow on.i`ll bet you 214,980,000 that its higher.i bet when your lining it up you start to push the plow right? i bet your short by 1 inch to.the claws just miss right.in my shop i put my plows up against the wall so the forks will just slide up rather than pushing the dam thing a mile.let me know how you made out i can give you some pointers on the ultra mounts.i think there a thousand times better than stupid bins.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2002
  8. BIG M

BIG M Member

I have a western ultra mount on my F250 and heres the problem with putting it on.
    When you lift the legs look on the inside. directly oppisite of the red locking pins you'll see the "notch" for a lack of another word is hitting the inside of the frame member where it lifts.It's like the Channel isn't big enough.
    you have to push the plow member in so it slips by the arms.
    Hopefully it's like that cause it's new. mine does the same thing.
    If you need more help just ask.
    Good luck
  9. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

I had a similar problem with my Boss Vee once. Make sure (at least on Boss) that the V is totally back. This lifts the plow frame up just a bit and allows you to drive right in.

I took my plow off once and it was slightly off V (straighter that a max v). The hydraulics could not pull the sides back on the pavement until I jacked up the plow a bit. Went right on then.