1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone w/ Dual Batteries

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BWK, Nov 7, 2006.

1. BWK

BWK Junior Member

I posted this on the Truck & Eq. Repair forum as well:
    I'm changing the setup on my '97 K2500 to Dual Yellow Tops (w/ side & top Posts)
    & a 200amp Alt.
    Have a Salt Dogg to be installed next week (Bye Bye SpeedCaster!)
    I've read every Dual Battery post on the site - still have one question for those experienced
    Here's my plan
    Batteries in Parallel - no ISO
    all 1 AWG inc. Alt & starter leads
    triple grounded (engine, frame & body) = overkill- I know
    Question: Does it matter (wired in parallel) what's hooked up to which battery?
    i.e.: Orig. Battery location (fnt pass side) is a short run to the starter & Alt.
    but the solenoid for the Boss V (& I assume the harness run for the Salt Dogg) is on the
    drivers side - a nice short run to the second battery.
    Any thoughts on why I should or shouldn't set it up this way?
    Thanks in advance for any advise

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

BWK I posted this on the Truck & Eq. Repair forum as well:

Take a look there, :rolleyes:

3. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

It doesn't really matter. Wiring some things to one battery, ond others to another just means the cable connecting the two batteries sees less load.
    If you were using small cables it would be important, but in your case it doesn't make any difference.

4. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Sounds pretty good to me. This setup will work well.