1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone w/ Boss Trip Edge?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowman350, Jul 19, 2004.

1. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Real quick questions for those who know:

I've been doing grass for years now, and have had enough people ask for snow removal, that I broke down and bought a new truck.

Since the wife wants a big back seat for future children (ikes) I had to go with the f350 crew cab. I know this'll be tight in driveways, but I'll manage.

Now to the question:

I'm looking at getting a Boss 8' straight blade. They have 2 options between the full moldboard trip and the trip edge. Is anyone using the trip-edge? Since I'm starting this year with resis, I need to know which one will backdrag better, the full moldboard trip, or the trip edge. With such a big truck I'll be doing a lot of backdragging garage doors. Any problems or successes with either? Which do you prefer and why?

Also, is the trip edge (only about 6" of trip) too small, say you're a bit sleepy and hit a parking lot block. It seems that the block would be too tall, and therefore not trip the blade.

Those who could offer advice or experiece, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

The plow i own is full trip however i did use a fisher trip edge once. Trip edge is better because you don't loose all your snow when the plow trips. If you have a full trip plow thats 25" high and you hit something thats 15" high the plow probley won't trip you will come to a dead stop. Full trip hits something half the height of the modlboard (or higher) its not tripping. With the trip edge the height of the obstruction has to decrease more for it to trip but the point is objects can be too high for both