1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using wireless Backup Camera?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by timmy1, Jan 19, 2009.

1. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

I see wireless units. My UPS man has one.

Figured the snow would load up on the lens.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I heard that snow ends up caked over the lens unfortunetely...

I think I would absolutely love using a backup camera while plowing...If you could see out of it.:confused:

3. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Junior Member
    from Midwest

Would be great when you're driving a dump\sander... Like Blade said, if it didn't get covered in snow\slush\etc.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

if been takign the tailgate off of my dump... i love it now... you all should try it

5. DODGEing

DODGEing Member

They sell a cheap one at Wallyworld for $88.83. Below is the site you can copy and paste.
    You can read the reviews. They are not completely wireless you have to hook it up to A power source no farther than 19 feet between them. Hook into the reverse light or a constant power. Personaly I am going to wire it in with a quick disconnect and make A cheap quick disconnect with a shield over the the top of the camera lens(like an awning)
    I drive A dump and it can be a PITA to see and keep up with whats going on in your blind spots sometimes. I plan on connecting it when on site hopefully minimizing the build up while driving or mabe it will work better than I hope and can keep it connected but if cleaning is needed being able to disconnect it and clean it will still be an option. I'll be crossing my fingers until I can test it. Worse case scenario I'll use it for hooking up trailers and keeping an eye on A load.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4744711

6. gskara

gskara Junior Member

my new GMC has back up sensors and they get covered pretty fast, the system starts beeping when they are blocked and that reminds me to turn it off. Usualy within the first half hour.
    not to mention it does not take much to block the view. ever put on a dirty pair of glasses?

7. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

I have a wired camera built into the license plate bracket on my F250, it works surprisingly well. Once in a while I wipe it off, but it is so nice to be able to back right up to something without worrying about hitting it. I also added extra backup lights and the combo of the camera and lights is awesome.

8. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I have one that is wired in. Got it on ebay. 7" screen - kind of nice. I don't use it all the time but it is really handy. One thing I like is that I can see better while backing out from between buildings and stuff. I have the camera mounted up above the taillight on the back of the box. It gets covered with snow the odd time but not like it would if it was lower down. If I just wipe it when I get out for coffee, I am all right. I have it pointed on a slight angle to the right so that when backing out, it is almost looking down the street to see what is coming. Very nice. Works very well at night too. I use it more at night.

9. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

I put one on my F150. At the top of the license plate.
    It works pretty well.
    I had wanted it so I could see how close I was backing up to
    garage doors when doing residentials.
    The problem is, You still cant judge the distance that well.
    Maybe if I mounted it up higher and pointed it down it would be better.

As to build up on the lens, its not too bad. I may have to give it a swipe
    now and then, but not that often.
    IT works well at night as well. As long as you have decent backup lights.

Bob