1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using the Western Wide Out?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Jan 24, 2011.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Wondering how well it back drags. Doesn't look like you could put a back drag blade on it due to the wings.

Also, how does your truck handle the weight, specs say 955 pounds not including the mount so total weight must be pushing 1000 pounds, sounds like a lot of weight to hang on the front of a truck.

Feel free to share the cost if you don't mind.

Thank you.

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Good luck.

3. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Don't know about western I had the blizzard version. It plows and backdrags well w/o a blade. The weight is bad and good. They scrap very well because of being so heavy. I had mine on a 97 Chevy 3500HD dump truck that has a solid front axle and gvw of 16,000#. It put the front of that truck down probably 2". I looked into them for my F350 but they told me it wasn't a big enough truck. They are awesome plows and move a ton of snow if you can find something with enough capacity to put it on. I would look at the fisher and blizzard brands as I found the western was about 750-1,000 more than the others. All made by same company just little differences between them. Fisher has trip edge. Blizzard has metal cutting edges on wings and blade. Western has rubber on wings as cutting edge. Fisher and western are chain lift and blizzard isnt.

4. TSherman

TSherman Member

wow, doesn't sound like you looked into them at all! LOL. You probably just saved me an hour plus of looking at them on the internet! Thanks for the research!

5. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I did a ton of research on plows this fall. I think my wife was getting tired of me saying what do you think about this one. Lol! I wanted the wideout so bad but the price was just crazy. What I did was look at each brand get the closest dealer and just called and compared prices. The western and boss were the most expensive by a lot. I ended up with a hiniker v. I like the fact it had a trip edge. It is unbelievable how much easier it is on my truck when it does trip. Just do your research and find the dealer that has the best support and go from there. To me a good dealer is worth everything when something happens at 2am. And no matter what plow you decide on they all break and they all need service at some point.

6. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I have a Blizzard 810 on a F350 and have no issues. It drops the front end more than I'd like but counterweight reduces it. I also have a backdrag blade on it!

7. wcb607a

wcb607a Junior Member
    from NJ

I have a wideout on my 2004 F250 5.4 gasser. No problems at all and I wouldn't never go back to a straight blade. The wideout moves so much snow. Love it. I think it cost me a little over 6,100 installed and with tax.