1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using Pull Plows?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jhook, Oct 2, 2006.

1. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I am considering buying a pull plow for my 2500HD.

I am looking at the Daniels and the Snowman and was wondering if anyone uses these things and can comment. I have never seen one in real life - nobody here uses them but I would like to try it. I did a search and found some good things said of the Daniels but I thought I would ask.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yup, have been for many, many years. IMO, the Daniels would be my choice. We have a local company that manufactures pull plows that are even better, but they cost more. And they're local, he likes to do the installs himself.

Save a bunch of time, well worth the money if you are doing residential or even have a lot of loading docks or other areas that need to be pulled out.

3. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I could see saving time on driveways just because I don't have to drive in, backblade, back out, turn around, back in and then push the snow out, turn around and pile it. Also I do have some commercial places where we have to backblade out some areas and same thing. From what info I have gathered on the websites, the Daniels does not stick out the back of the truck as far as the snowman - I see that as a bonus.

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I got a Snowman last year. It is a real time saver and makes backdragging easy and much more efficient.

5. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Ditto what Mark said.

6. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I have a Snowman and love it. The down pressure is what makes it great. I have a Boss V on the front and Snowman with wings on the rear. I used to hate plowing driveways before the rear plow. My only complaint is that the plow is slow.

7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Make sure the fluid is full, mine was slow towards the middle of last year and I found it to be a little low, filled her up and she was pretty quick.

8. ght1098

ght1098 Member

I've used one for the last couple of years and now wouldn't be without it. They also work great for those light snowfalls, you can drag your windrow towards the pile, saves a bunch of time.

9. Mad Mulcher

Mad Mulcher Member

If a guy could ask a silly question here, hows the visibility backing up to a garage door (or anything else) with these things? Everyone seems to like pull plows, but is it hard to maintain good visual contact when necessary?

10. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I'm picking up a new truck this year. Instead of buying two plows (one for the front and one for the rear) A'm probably going to buy a Hinker C plow. I've heard both good and bad but the same can be said about any plow manufacturer.

11. Mark Oomkes

Removing the tailgate helps out immensely with this.

12. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ya, we already pull tailgates off all trucks before the season starts for visibility.

13. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

With all back blades you have to use lots of caution. It adds more length to the already long truck from the front plow! I had a guy bend the frame second time out with one when he hit a dumpster.:nono:

14. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

snowman is the way to go...daniels doesn't pick up as far as the snowman....

15. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

But snowman puts all the stress on the reciever tube where as daniels has extra mount locations on the hitch to spread it out. Also snowman is longer then daniels. Daniels is nice and tight to the back of the truck. Personally, I would rather have a back blade thats tight to the back of the truck rather then one that lifts up 4ft in the air.

16. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

I love back plows and have used/owned the Daniel's and Snowman units.

I prefer the Daniels over the Snowman due to its simplicity and proven mechanical strength! The installation of the Daniels is more intense(weld ears to the rear hitch, under hood pump mount, etc.), but it is definitely built to last....... except for the paint. The Daniels paint job is the worst! The paint will be rusting and flaking off in no more than 1 year. By the way, in regard to the rear plow maximum raised height, the Daniels is more than sufficient. If you had continuous 12"+ snow events, than some additional height would be nice. As we all know, that kind of snow seems like folklore, at least around here.

Over the past 10 years, I have reduced the need for a back plow. As we continue to grow our salt business, the viability of a pull plow becomes less and less. Someone should invent/fabricate a rear pull plow that acts as a rear bumper to protect your salt spreader spinner and also function as a pull plow. It would likely have to be built into the salter or "combination truck body" for best use of available space, pumps, etc. Further yet, build it all in stainless and you have a winner!!!

17. Mark Oomkes

You mean like this?

2-9-04 snow pics 018 (Medium).jpg

18. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

http://www.snowmansnowplow.com/content/view/7/25/ offers a pull plow that will work with a spreader. i am not sure if it will work with a v box spreader though.

19. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Mark - Nice!!

Is that your truck? What can you say about that set up?

04superduty - I realize that Snowman makes their spreader compatible unit, however just with tailgate spreaders (I think???) I spoke to them years back in regard to this matter, I believe the plow didnt extend out or raise high enough to allow a V box to discharge below the plow.

20. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We have one. It is on the truck on the right. I will take some better pics of it.

bb102.jpg