1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using Potash on sidewalks?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Dstosh, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Ran out of my ice melter this past storm and went to the local fertilizer store for some more. They suggested using potash so I gave it a try.

We have had temps any where from 9-10 at night and 20-25 during the day.

While it doesnt seem to work super fast, It does work.

It seems like it doesnt dissapear as fast either. Stuff we applied on Tues morning was still there on wed morning-with heavy foot traffic and a dusting of snow. It seemed like it burned off what was falling on the sidewalks.

It is more than what I am paying for the stuff I was using prior. (8.50 vs 12.00) for 50Lbs

But if it works better I'll pay the extra money.

This is just straight potash.

Has anyone else had any experiences?
  2. leon

leon Senior Member

potash for deicing

Potash fertilizer is very low in sodium chloride and will work, but you will have massive winter kill come spring time if any vegetation is close by; as a side issue the mined and manufactured fertilizers with which potash can be man made or naturally occuring are a huge factor in both surface and potable drinking water pollution.

You can add sand to make the potash more effective over the long run and aid in pedestrian traction. :waving: