1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using liquid de-icing agents?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by IDEALGREEN, Jun 19, 2004.

1. IDEALGREEN

IDEALGREEN Member
    from USA

Recently I came across an add talking about liquid de-icing. Is anyone else using this verses rock salt? I go through 8,000 - 12,500 lbs. of rock per year and I'm sick of dealing with hundreds of bags! If I could mount a system to spray on de-icing agents and reduce product amounts, that would be great! I have limited space for bulk loads of rock salt so some type of concentrate would be great! I think spreaders are very wasteful and turf damage occurs almost on every property. Not that I'm shooting the salt onto the turf, but if you plow later within 24 - 48, the salt brine gets carried onto the lawn.

Any insight on liquid applications is greatly appreciated!;)

2. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I've been using liquid for a few years now. First I used Magic -0, and treated my salt with it. Last year I switched to Caliber M2000, which I found a bit better then the Magic. The advantages are the liquid reduces the corrosive effects of salt, stays on the lot and has a residue effect, reduceas the amount of salt required by about 1/2, melts at a lower temperature. This year I'm adding a liquid system to spray Caliber M 1000. These products are really a $ saver on seasonal contracts, as they reduce the number of applications, and they all but eliminate the black ice from refreezing of the melt on the lot. I use a Trynex spreader and simply pour the liquid over the salt after it's been put in the hopper, theres very little lost throuh seepage, and doesn't require any special equipment, this works especially well with bagged matrerial as it's generally dry. I use about 60 tons of salt/season

Bill

3. trukoutftr

trukoutftr Junior Member

Can you tell me what company makes the liquid system/sprayer? I have a customer that is interested in equipping his fleet with these types of sprayers on trucks.

Any help would be appreciated.

4. Snowboy9999

Snowboy9999 Junior Member

Ideal Green,

What part of menasha are you from? How old are you?

I graduated from Neenah in 88. Small world.

I now live in Missouri and have been in the snow and ice side for about four years.

We use liquids a lot although it is mostly for treatment of salt. We have done some deicing with the liquids and it has worked great. We have found that it works better to have a two man crew. One with a sprayer gun while the other drives the truck. You can deice a huge amount in short time relative to using simple sidewalk spreaders because you don't have to run back and forth to the truck to keep reloading on larger jobs.

I don't really recommend it when you have more than about 1/4 inch of ice/snow because it has a harder time working down through the icepack and you have to apply a lot of it to get the job done.

5. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Truckoutftr,
    I have 2 trucks. One I bought as a custom Mag/Caliber spray unit. I bought it from Prestige Inc. They are just north of Denver. email me for the phone number.:D

6. lindsayC

lindsayC Junior Member

Liquids work well as anti clumping agents for granular chemicals and as an "Anti-icer" (put it down when ice begins to form) but I would stick to a good old rock salt in moderation (it can be used as a Anti-icer).Liquid brines dulute at a very high rate.

7. sr_innovative

sr_innovative Junior Member
    from Toronto

on a related note....

Hello Everyone,

Scott Robbins here from Innovative/IBP in Ajax, ON. As many of you know we are the largest provider of Liquid Deicers and Treated Salts used throughout North America, including Magic, Slicer, Caliber Treated Salt, etc.

I just wanted to extend an open invitation to any of the landscapers/contractors, or distributors in the area to our Liquid De-Icing and Anti-Icing, and Treated Salts Seminar on September 9, 2004. Best of all, the seminar is completely free, just give me a call or send me an email ahead of time so I can reserve a spot for you. Chemists and Technicians will be on hand to answer any questions you may have.

srobbins@innovativecompany.com