1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using GPS in the truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jhook, Oct 4, 2008.

1. jhook

jhook Senior Member

So I am looking into getting gps units for my trucks and wondered if anyone was using them and had any feedback. My goal is to get accurate records of when we serviced a property and so on. Thoughts?
  2. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

fleet madox is the name of a company that keeps calling me for a gps system for tracking my company trucks. this year was pretty crappy for me so i ony had three truck on the road and not worth it for me.
  3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

We also plan this year to use gps / computer records, to keep a time stamp / location of when and where our salters are turned on. Alot more reliable then hand written sheets for time that a lot is salted. likely going with the same company that installed our gps anti-thief in our machines.
  4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

check out Field Force Manager by Verizon wireless. its great
  5. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I had been looking into a setup by Advance Tracking (ATTI) that looked pretty good. I was just wondering if other guys were using similar technology and if they liked the idea of it. Seems to me like you should end up with pretty accurate records of where you were and when. In the reports, it would identify the vehicle and so on as well.
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Saw the Pinpoint demo and it is worth looking into.
  7. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Looks interesting, thanks, checking it out.
  8. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Ya I have the boulder phone, seems pretty neat, but I don't need it. I know you can use it like a walkie talkie, send directions to employees and alot more
  9. salopez

salopez Senior Member

yep you can geofence your guys...timesheets, auto site check, route, inventory, send messages, and more.

I love it.
  10. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

we have been using fleetmatics for over a year now and dont know how we did without it. Not only can I see where the trucks are instantly but also can check driver speed and routing. We had a truck stolen from a property this summer and found it within a hour with no damage or missing equipment.