1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using full size light bars?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaySpring Services, Sep 14, 2005.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone use a full sized light bar for plowing? I have a highlighter that I will be using. I've always liked lots of flashing lights, but think it would look ridiculous and overkill for plowing driveways. Anyones thoughts?
  2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i have a buddy who has an 8 strobe full size light bar and everytime i pass him i think im gonna have a seizure. i have a mini lightbar and it works fine
  3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I run a full size smart vector light bar and it could be overkill for plowing cept i can select 2 - 3 - or all 7 light pods. Lets put it this way Ive been running all 7 pods and Ive had people pulling over to the side of the road....Rob

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We use a few full sized street hawk bars. We get them cheap off of old police cars and swap the red lenses for amber ones and the whole setup runs about $50 - $75 complete. We also run strobes in the reverse lights and tail lights. Eventually we are just going to use the strobes with out any light bars. it makes for a cleaner look that draws less attention to your truck, less wiring and electric draw, and you can run the truck through a car wash easier.
  5. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

The company that I used to plow for had a full size Jet-Strobe and a Smart Vector on their plow trucks. I liked using the truck with the vector, because you can light up all 7 pods and have them all shining forward and not have to use plow headlights.
  6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Ok I have a question, if I use the hooks to mount the light bar up (non permanent) how do you route the wires, or is a hole still needed?
  7. JTW

JTW Senior Member

If you look between the cab and bed of the truck is there a plastic plug in the back wall of the cab? if there is you can go in through that.
  8. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I have a full bar and love it. You can never have too many warning lights. As far as mounting it i ran the wire inside my door (3 wire hook up) and it works fine. I used to have a full strobe bar and ran that one through the roof, which worked better because there was 12 wires.
  9. Dupesy

Dupesy Member

I run 10 strobe lightbar with alleys and front and rear work lights. The bar is mounted to my backrack. I just ran the wiring in through the vent behind the driver's seat.
  10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

The company we plow for had a guy using a Vector bar with amber and clear lenses.....he was told to take them off or don't come back.LOL. Sorry but I sure as hell don't want to look at those bright a$$ lights at 3AM!
  11. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We run Whelen 8 Strobe 52" bars on all of our trucks, they also have allys, take downs and work lights. We also Strobe out our tail & turn. Is it over kill ? maybe but i'm damn sure people can see use.
  12. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Whelen edge here

I run a full size Whelen Edge on my primary truck. i have a Streehawk waitint for the next truck. Why I like having all my lights in one uncluttered unit. Front work lights, side spot lights and the warning lights are set up to select front-back or all. Install the bar and don't worry about multi spaced lights.
  13. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

58 " mx 7000 6 rotators and all other options including tail and brake lights along with an arrow stick.I wired my bar so I can have 2,4,or 6 rotators on at a time so I can use very Little or as much light as needed as the truck has seen alot of use in heavy traffic situations.Two cables go down front of bed to a hole in bottom of cab then on to a 9 switch panel. My truck is used for road service and towing so I need to have more scene protection sometimes.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I've never used a lightbar but if I do I think I'd go for a streethawk.
  15. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer strobe kits...

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

go with a streethawk i had one it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :waving: