1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using an unlimited pre-paid cell service?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowtoy, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I'm considering getting a new cell phone service and getting out of a contracted phone service (my contract is expired). Ive done some research but am wondering what people think of prepaid phones. There are all kinds of services out there but I use my Blackberry for everything and don't want to loose the features it has just to get a lower bill (that's my main goal, one smart/i or android phone and one plain phone under $150 a month). I'm looking for talk, text and web service. I'm seriously thinking "straight talk" from walmart may be a good option. Any suggestions/opinions would be appreciated

2. dixiejwo

dixiejwo Junior Member

3. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Good subject,
    I currently have Verizon and am thinking of dumping them for "Virgin" I like the Optimus Slide phone they have...Would only take 2 1/2 months for me to start saving $45 a month.
    I feel I am paying to much for Verizon and the service I am getting now..

4. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I heard from some kids at school who have "virign" that their coverage is horrible. At least in my area.

5. Oshkosh

Thanks, That is the only reason I havent pulled the trigger,worried about coverage....

6. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Straight talk from Walmart is not bad. They use the Verizon towers. They have a phone that looks like a black Berry. It's made by Samsung. Talk Tex web for 45.00. The only downfall is you buy the phone out right. They have smart phones now. Did you look at Sprint I pay 80.00 wit everything and no roaming.

I love my Z

7. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Sprint simply everything .... $79.99 unlimited everything.

8. bswalks

bswalks Member

Currently have 2 iPhones & 2 kids with cell phones.
    Unlimited data for the 2 iPhones, unlimited text for
    all 4 phones. Only use 700 minutes a month between
    all phones. $170/ month & always have great signal
    wherever we go. We've been with Verizon 12+ years.
    Also get 25% discount from Verizon service & accessories
    because of the company I work for. NICE!!

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Ive been to almost all the big name cell company's in Holland and for 2 phones with the same features we have now plus texting (I know, who doesn't have texting these days) its still around the same price I'm paying now ($150 a month). I really want to cut that number in half (or close to half). Currently I have at&t, the service is just o.k., I drop more calls than i think i should, no texting plan, but 1400 shared minutes a month, and unlimited data on my blackberry. That does include insurance on both phones (witch is a rip off, had to pay $50 when my wife's phone just wouldn't power up one day for a replacement)
    Is the unlimited everything NO CONTRACT? I really don't want to be tied to another contract. I think I'd rather go through 2 or 3 no contract phone company's to find a good one than to sign a contract that ties me to something I may not like

10. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Interesting article, thanks for posting it. I wonder if that is the difference between an android and non android phone with them. I did see that the non android phone has a couple hundred web pages (like the article says) but the android phone shows something like 300k+ apps. Androids also have way less service coverage than non android through straight talk, so i was thinking non android originally. What is the difference between the two?

11. Oshkosh

I may try a cheap Virgin phone(to check signal in my area) just to see, service for service the virgin plan is exactly 1/2 that of my verizon and my verizon service isnt that good....
    I've been with Verizon since the mid 90's when I switched from cell one.I was with cell one from the mid 80's needless to say I dont like change..lol
    Throwing away 50% of anything just goes against my nature..

12. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

By the way, if your with Verizon now and try to get the $30/month unlimited data (unless you already have it) its only for 2GB for $30.

You MAY be able to get the UNLIMITED (unless you already have it) if you argue that you already were with Verizon before they switched it and just yell alot. haha But it worked.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have been using Straightalk for almost two years. Plenty of coverage from Maine to Delaware, including Eastern Mass. I have the basic cheapie phone, can't speak for the Android component.

14. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

@plowtoy ....check into Metro PCS at Best Buy .....Metro was running a deal that was insane.... $25 per month -- unlimited talk, text and web. I looked into to it, but really find my android (Motorola Photon) and my Acer Iconia tablet (Android) are a very valuable pair for me. Plus I think when you get right down to coverage area with any of the smaller companies, its not going to be as good. T-Mobile is pretty good too, but for a plan with no limitations ....Sprint gets my vote. I Currently have myself, my wife, my son, and my parents, as well as a Sprint hot-spot and the hot-spot on my MoPho is also activated so I have WiFi for my tablet and my wife's I pad any where we go, and i think my mom (book keeper) says I am around $325/Month.....so that's about $50 per device.... all unlimited. I looked into Verizon, but they don't do any mobile any time, you get the 10 friends and family, which if both phone are on 1 account, you share the 10 with the other phone, 5 each.

I am kind of a phone geek... I love cell phones ....have since I was 16 when my first phone came in a bag and was $1 a minute or something like that.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't place mulch value in that article. It's more than two years old. In the cell phone biz, that might as well be two centuries. Straight Talk offers an Android Smart phone, which requires the unlimited (as opposed to the $30 1,000 min, 1,000 text, 30 MB data) card to feed its nonstop internet activity.

I'll be upgrading real soon, going to study the fine print on the Straight Talk site this weekend.

16. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I think i will check into metro pcs, My niece and my brother inlaws sister both said they have really liked their metro pcs phones.:salute:

Yeah, I remember the days when a cell phone was in a bag (and had a corded handset) and only an accessory for your car. Thanks for making me feel old:laughing::eek::laughing:

17. snowman6

snowman6 Senior Member

Metro Pcs is the way to go. I have had the service for two years and love it. The phones can be a little pricey but in the long run it works out. I have the LG Optimus and my wife has a blackberry and we both have unlimited everything including a great data package for apps and stuff. Our bill every month is 80.00

18. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

This is the BIGGEST news in recent cell phone history.... just read this couple hours ago!!! http://www.prepaidphoneguy.com/

Also for you CDMA guys check out this.... I did it and it works!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/PagePlus-Ce...ltDomain_0&hash=item3cc1b540b8#ht_1725wt_1141

Is either one perfect for you??? Gotta read the fine print.... and know your usage!

I'm just a two-bit schmuck that does not require unlimited. Page Plus gives me 365 days of service and 2000 minutes for $80. For me that is perfect.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012