1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Using a Skid Steer to Plow Residentials

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Toby, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

Thinking of putting one on my mini skid for residential route, hauling in trailer.

2. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

well i dont see the point really...i mean if you have to clear the sidewalks, and maybe infront of a garage i can see that...but for the driveway???just use the plow & truck, seems to be a good method for like everyone in the country.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I would agree with Porter. Hauling the trailer will be the most difficult part. Plus you'll spend a lot of time in loading and unloading. I'd suggest a snowblower if there are places that you can't get to with the truck. Cheaper to buy initially, easier to transport and cheaper to operate than a skid steer.

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

skid steer works great for us. this method only works in a small town. i would recomend a 7.5 foot bucket. strap your snow shovel to the back. pulling it on a trailer would cost you too much time. get a skid with a 2 speed 12 mph +++ and you'll beat a pick up or snow blower any day. this method is how i got my foot in the door.

5. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

plows on trucks are a JOKE around here. a skid steer wiht snow bucket is minimal, which is what I'm running. big boys use loaders.

this si for residential.

we've got 4 feet on the flats right now, and season isn't half over. shoudl be a good year.

for trailering a skid, a few hints. LOTS AND LOTS of tongue weight gives more traction for the truck. I'm tlaking like 3000 pounds or so. truck squats, looks stupid, but by golly you get traction.

have a program that is simple and quick for loading unloading skid. 2 chains with binders, ramps that never ice up allow me to load and unload in 2 minutes.

Studded snow tires, new ones, on the truck. i've got a 3 axle trailer, and unhooked the brakes on teh back axle so she never goes sidways braking. when you get to an area, we road the skid around from there.
    8.5 wide bucket, 4 foot long. too much bucket in wet snow. Wet snow is anything you can make a snowball out of, which is kind fo rare here.

we do 53 accounts a day currently.

different parts of the county have different requirements.

6. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

yes well i wold agree, that if you are only covering a small town inwhich you have 20 + accounts in a 2 or so mile range i can see useing a skidsteer,, but to tow it around i couldnt amagine anything worse that that....having to unload and load every account...i woudl even bother wiht that....id rather not do it....if its after a big storm or somthing and you have 10 or so accounts where you might have to pile snow or haul it away , or just need it to clear the drive casue there was to much snow for the truck to plow, ya then haul it and clear to driveway, but i wouldnt suggest towing it around wall you do you entire route...

7. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

so what would you do?

5 feet on the flats, 12 inch dump.

plows on pickup trucks don't work here.

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

A bidirectional tractor with a snow blower with a pull back feature. Since they can get up to road speed.

9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

going to need more than a skid steer for 1-5' of snow!

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Snowblower. Tractor or truck mounted.