1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using a pull plow on a Ranger?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Jan 20, 2011.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Since I was thinking about switching to a Ranger and being a little concerned about back-dragging with the relatively light (front) plow, maybe a pull plow (with front also) would be the answer???

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think it would be a good idea. Maybe you should look into a snoway with down pressure if you do alot of backdragging. I'm not saying they don't make a smaller rear plow, but the smallest I have ever seen is 7 foot. I think that might be a bit harsh on a ranger with a front plow as well.

3. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Yeah I wonder about the load on the Ranger too but I've seen Wranglers with front and rear plows and people love them. There is not that much difference between the Wrangler and Ranger.

4. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Guy a few blocks away plows for himself with a Ranger and small Blizzard plow. Doing it for at least 3-4 years I've known him. Never had a problem with it and we get a lot of snow up here.

5. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

i thought about putting a pull plow on my wrangler for this season but couldn't justify the cost considering the amount of work that i do in my jeep. i am still paying off my meyer plow that i have hanging on the front of the truck, don't want another expense to worry about that isn't really necessary.

6. k5PlowGuy

k5PlowGuy Member

It may strain the rangers suspension a little bit with both blades but get the smallest backblade you can find or build your own to reduce the weight. Also make sure you put your weight in the bed before you install and adjust the backblade so the height is correct.

7. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Does he plow commercially?

8. KartAnimal29

KartAnimal29 PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ct.

I run a Meyer 6.5 on my Ranger and it back drags OK. I plan on making a brake drag edge for it this summer
    [​IMG]

9. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

No, just himself and the neighbors on either side of him. My area averages 200 inches per winter, so it sees heavier use than just casual 2 inch dustings. We have over 110 inches so far since December.

10. twizted143

twizted143 Member
    from nh

ranger

i have an 04 ranger 4.0, i have a homesteader and a sno-way 6 spreader on it. i have no issues at all. i do a handfull of driveways, 2 daycares and a limo company. backdragging is a no go. ive heard of ppl fillingg the tube that goes acoss the plow with concrete for weight but am torn if i actually wanna do that or not. good luck!