1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using a compact 4x4 tractor?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Matt400, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

I was looking at a TYM compact 4x4, not sure what else is in its class with these specs. plus you can get it with a Cab.

Whats nice about this size for me is ease of transport with a small utility trailer.
    The rear 3 point PTO is rated for 22 hp so maybe a blower but which brand?
    With the width of this tractor the blower should be 60"
    I could put a mower and loader attachment to good use and was thinking a blade & blower would be slick for snow. Thoughts...?

[​IMG]

2. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Blade on the front (with the loader just replace the bucket) and the blower on the back, with the cab, that would be sweet

3. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

I did some more looking and found the Mahindra 2615HST is pretty close (on paper) in comparison and you can get it with a canopy and soft cab.
    [​IMG]
    If I were to get one of these it would have to be 4x4 weighing in between 2000 and 3000 lbs with the cab.
    I suppose considering an aftermarket cab might open the door to a few more models in this size.

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

IMO, if you are planning to buy new....get a factory delux cab. In the long run you will be glad you did.

Bobcat has some great deals on the tractors they offer. I think 0% for 60 months right now....and 24 months 0% on attachment?(i think) Check em out they are a sponsor here. BTW, I have ran a couple of the models they offer, and they were really smooth & powerful operating.

5. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

Around my next of the woods, ALL the driveway contractors use these types of tractors, VERY manuverable, great in tight streets and short driveways, they leave no huge snow piles...they are even excellent on long drives because they leave no snowbanks that end up getting bigger & bigger while your drive gets narrower & narrower.

You can get regular blowers that you need to drive backwards with, or "drag" blowers that you back up to the end of the driveway and blow as you drive forward (can get close to garage doors to avoid shovelling), they even have blowers that can alternate between modes...they all run teflon pads under the shoes to avoid scratching driveway pavers...

Look up "Pronovost" snow blowers, "Normand" snowblowers, "Berco" snowblowers... we really know how to build those things here in Quebec...

All of them are plated and driven from job to job, mind you all the jobs are very short distance to one another...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  6. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

Thats what I was thinking when looking at the TYM's.
    Thanks..I looked at those and their smallest with factory cab is 1000 lbs over what I would like. They do have a smaller one you can get a "dealer installed" cab but its still 500lbs too much where the first two I posted will run on my current trailer plus those bigger tractors get kinda spendy new.

Another I found that might possibly be available with a factory soft cab is the Boomer 2030 that fits my weight limit but I was hoping to find something under 20K with loader & blower, maybe I am dreaming and should just stick with a new plow for the pickup.
    [​IMG]

7. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

Thanks, those looks like some good stuff

8. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Get a deere :D

9. nosnownogo

nosnownogo Member

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

to the OP.....please elaborate on "why" the weight limit of the machine purchase is so low? It seems to not make sense to me.....any paved sidewalk should be able to handle ALOT more than a 3000 lb machine.?..?..and the original comment of hauling on a small utiilty trailer seems strange also. If you are in the market for buying a peice of equipment, you need to figure on buying a capable trailer to haul it with. I would not haul around one of these tractors your looking for, on a little 3000lb utility trailer, if thats what your plan is?

11. leon

leon Senior Member

tractor

========================================================================================================================================================================================================================

A single axle tractor is to small for a compact utility tractor with a loader and blower, you need a two axle trailer with a braking system.

The larger Kubotas are being offered with cabins at zero percent for 60 months as well.

The smaller tractors are hindered in power due to the draw bar horse power or lack of it if you want or expect speed in cleaning with a blower in anything but powder.

A large tractor in the one hundred horse power class with a rear mounted blower for that size tractor will allow you to clean many drive ways quickly-search pronovost on the forum here and you will see a lot of postings for them.

leon:sleeping:

12. Eddiej

Eddiej Member
    from UK

I'm not sure if the quality of American spec Chinese tractors is better than our UK ones, but over here, no agricultural contractor would touch a Chinese 'chocolate' tractor. Axle cases crack, and metal fatigue on welds as been awful. Over here, parts availability and factory back up is also another major issue.

Kubota all the way for me when it comes to compact tractors. The initial purchase cost may be higher, but the resale value and desirability is going to be higher. Spares are next day or off the shelf, and factory support is first class. Obviuosly this opinion was based on the UK market.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  13. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

The original idea mainly comes from using it with a mid mount mower on our property. It would enable me to upgrade from a DR brush mower. A lawn tractor could work too but the added light materials handling of a compact would be welcome plus the terrain calls for 4x4 even in the summer. Snow removal is secondary and on just one lot approx 50x150 in size. Seems a large tractor would just be overkill.

This season's snow we have a contract plow so just thinking ahead on what I might do for next season.
    The trailer is currently a single axle with provision for brakes, my thoughts were to add an axle and brake kit vs buying another trailer. Its physical size with 10' bed also limits larger tractors.
    Thanks for the feedback, all good info.

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It would be cheaper to trade trailers.

Besides than you can get what you need.

15. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

Ok so I re thought the size and looked at it more in terms of performance using a pusher for our commercial lot and its summer usefulness and came up with a Deere 3720 cab with loader.
    Found one for 38K OTD, does that sound reasonable? I suppose it would be 40 with a pusher.

Hard to justify when my DR Brush mower gives me such great exercise! and a plow on my pickup would work for winter. Dang those little tractors are expensive.
    A local contractor says prices new & used are way down due to the economy but I don't see it.

16. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

17. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

25hp articulating tractor $11,000
    45" 4 in 1 Bucket----------$01,400
    60" Snow Blade------------$00,500
    48" Snow Blower----------$03,200
    48" Deck Mower-----------$01,300

Total Cost--------------------$17,400

18. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

Interesting product, no dealers in our State but will look some more at it, thanks.

19. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I've noticed these TYM tractors being advertised. Not sure of where exactly their made but they do seem to offer more features for less $ than other brands. I like their looks and ergonomics too. The placement of the loader control seems right on. They even seem to offer the quick tach bucket on all models.

On some of the smaller Kubota's you seem to sit so high up you feel like you are on top of instead of in the tractor.

I think you'll find the New Holland Boomer series is pretty pricey.

I was told the new Bobcat tractors are actually Kioti's.

20. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

The quote I got on the first one I posted- T293HST is 20,495 and is with loader and cab. Due to our snow falls I think I would need a blower and blade with that size tractor and that would add 8600.00 bringing it to 29,095.00

What would be cool is if that little tractor would push a 6' pusher then I could opt out of the blower & blade but if I get behind in plowing I could see it getting too deep for such a small tractor.