1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using a Buyers 8' hopper sand spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Makndust, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I'm thinking about a Buyers spreader for the back of my pickup for next winter. Any imput about quality or parts availablility? I just went the tailgate route last winter and it was like taking a knife to a gun fight on some of the bigger accounts. Do any of you recomend any other brands? Boss quit selling a large hopper sander this year. I am looking for something that is best bang for your buck type of deal.. Thanks for any responses guys.

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i would recommend a Swenson spreader probably not the cheapest up front but they will last for ever. i would also recommend a stainless they are the only way to go.

3. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

I recommend the Snowex spreaders. I use several of their models in our fleet. I use the #1075's, #1875's and Vee Pro series. They all work very well for me with no real issues. Snowex has the new two yard V-box available this coming snow season.

If you are servicing large accounts and want something for volume, that is your box. I saw the new V-Box at the SIMA show last week in Louisville and in looks awesome. Take a look at it before buying something else. The advantage that I see in our business with the Snowex spreaders are that they are all electric with no belts,chains or gasoline motors. Less moving parts at 2:00am in the morning is best for me. Less down time means MORE PROFIT. They are not perfect, but nobody has one that is. If you want to achieve performance, and reliability on a regular basis,You owe it to your self to try a snowex spreader.

I've been offering snow & ice service in our market for over twenty years and these are by far the best spreaders we have used and we have used many of the competitors. :salute:

4. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

wayne volz,

Will the snowex handle wet sand? I may be very interested in this option if it can. I have been looking on the web but don't find a lot of info on the snowex sander. Thanks for the response

5. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

v boxes

i have a western 8 ft steel vbox and it performs very well. keep everything lubed up and cleaned out real good. and it will last a long time, i repaint it every spring.

i also have a buyers 8 ft stainless box. it does just as well, looks much better all winter long- no surface rust and it is shiny! and it saves me money on paint every year.

both have 8 horse engines and will sling salt far enough to put heavy cover on a two lane road.