1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone use?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by frue, Jan 22, 2009.

1. frue

frue Member
    from Pa

A push spreader to salt there lots. I dont mean as a back up plan, but as there main salter.
    If you do what brand do you use. I have been use a stainless spyker.

2. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

about 10 years ago we had a winter with nothing but ice storms. dad got tired of holding the bags in his arms and slowly dumping them so he bought a small grass seed spreader. people laughed but it worked when we needed it and didn't break our piggy bank lolussmileyflag

3. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

Last few years I was using an Agri Fab. cost me around $200, if can remember correctly. It would hold 3 - 50lb. bags, which is nice, and threw the salt in a nice wide pattern. replacement parts are readily available. I finally got a tailgate speader this year. what a time saver!

but No need to go to the gym if you are push spreading prsport

I actually removed snow from my commercial lots with my snowblower a few times last year.
    Had some drunck Biotch Hit my plow one night, blew a line and bent the A frame...that was a long week.

4. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

LMAO... feeding the chickens, as I call it... the motor fried on my spreader this past weekend in the middle of salting, there I was, bag in hand, feeding the chickens

my arms are still pumped wesport

5. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

My 1st year that's all I had. One of our last events of the year was an ice storm, and I was out walking an acre lot in the freezing rain with a push spreader and told myself, Not next year. It can be done, but you won't do it for long.

James

6. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

My first year plowing I did it for a few storms because my tailgate spreader was on back order. It really wasn't that bad, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time!

As far as what spreader to use I now use the Ice Buster, its been around a few years now and is working fine. I used to go through at least 2 agrifabs per year. They do NOT hold up well to continued salt use.
    JMO