1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use these backup lights?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaySpring Services, Oct 12, 2005.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

2. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

My next door neighbor uses them on his truck and they are pretty bright.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

From what I have heard from others, they are not the strongest when it comes to backing into snow banks...
  5. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

Those White knight lights work wonders for backing up, just don't hit anything with them. I had mine for one season it was great until I hit a Snow/Ice bank. Now they aim at the ground(still work) right below the hitch were I can't see them from the cab.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

like Scotty Said. I Knows If I Had Em On My Truck, They'd Be Beat Of The First Night, I'm Always Backing Into Snow Banks. I Say A Good Place For Lights Would Be On Top Of The Rear Bumper To The Side To Allow For Your Tailgate To Still Be Able To Drop Down. They Gotta Be Somewhere Where You Don't Have To Worry About Stepping On Them, Or Beating Them Off If You Back Into Something.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Get some clamps and clamp them to your bed rail.

Get a piece of wood that'll fit down inside the stake pocket on each side and mount the lights on top of the wood.

Put a connector on the wire, then when you're done plowing you can just unhook the light and pull it out of the stake pocket, put the light in the shop, in the back of your truck, wherever.
  8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Best lights I ever had was a set of trapezoidal tractor work lights, had a pretty soft flexible rubber mount, I mounted them under the bumper and backed them into many a snowbank, never broke one or even lost a bulb! Got them at a farm tractor dealer. My old truck was pretty tall, so the stock backup lights were pretty ineffective, even with 50 watt bulbs. Now I have a set of the auxiliary backup lights that are made to go on the receiver hitch. They are okay but I'm thinking of upgrading. I've got an old pair of 6x9 KC daylighters, but I cant figure out where to put them. I also thought about putting an old set of plow headlights back there, have the low beams come on with reverse, the highbeams on a switch for work lights, and make the amber turn signal flash for rear warning. On my first plowtruck I had a set of those combination fog/driving lights on the back, I had the clear driving hooked to reverse, and the yellow fogs alternating. I even swapped around the clear outer lens so the driving (backup) light was wide pattern and the yellow was narrow beam. It worked well and I even got some compliments on them, but they got busted off, no flex to them.
  9. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I picked up some running lights that I tucked up under the bumper. Im only doing driveways so I dont plan on backing into snowbanks. Im going to hook them up on 12volt. Is there any certain relay I should use?
  10. curty85

curty85 Junior Member

I love my trapezoidal halogen tractor lights mounted on each corner of the top of the rear bumper. Killer.:waving:
  11. danno

danno Senior Member

I have them.
    Compact one unit
    Easy to hook up
    Switch behind unit allows you to have light if needed anytime

Could be damaged when hitting something in reverse
    Trying to put a lock on the hitch mount with light there gives you NO ROOM for hands.
    If you have a 10 pin (round) connector facing towards the light, you have to buy an "adaptor" to move it facing straight out.

I think under less extreme conditions it`s a good light. For commercial use, it wouldn`t last very long.