1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use the 4.8L V8?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rawdog, Jan 21, 2009.

1. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

sorry if this has been asked already but i searched for it and couldnt find anything...but does anyone use a 4.8L V8 for plowing? if so how is it? again sorry if this has already been asked.

2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Love my 4.8l pushes snow fine.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I heard they're quite a bit underpowered, but I suppose it depends on what you're doing with it.

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

It'll be fine people on here think if it isn't a 3/4 ton or bigger with a diesel it isn't worth a ****. You will run out of traction before you will run out of power. Same drivetrain as a 5.3 so use what you have.:salute:

5. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

hey ahoron... how is it towing?? I have a 5000lb boat that ive been borrowing my friends 350 from the marina every time i trailer it.... hopin this could handle the boat too.. comfortably

haha ive also noticed...been lookin for a 3/4 but dont wannt something 9 years old with 100k for 16k when i can get something much newer for half the price...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  6. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

5000 lbs. you will be fine. I've towed full size trucks, vans, and a bobcat. It's not a 1 ton duallie with a diesel. I did install a brake controller. I tow rarely once twice a month. have had no problems.

7. beano

beano Member

I have one in my 99 silverado 1500. Tows great, plenty of power. Will post some pics of my trailer tongiht when i get home. I tow 4800lbs everyday of the week during the mowing season at it has held up well. No problems so far and just turned 145,000 miles.

8. beano

beano Member

Ok heres my rig. 1500 silverado, 4.8 with the 4.10 gears. Trailer is a 7 x 18 enclosed empty weight is 2700lbs. Weight with all my equipment is about 4800lbs. Pulls fine, has no problem doing 75 down the freeway.

DSC00690.jpg

DSC00687.jpg

DSC00683.jpg

9. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

What kinda of mpg's are you getting out of it.

10. beano

beano Member

Unloaded it gets 17 on hwy and 15 around town. When its pulling the trailer loaded, it stays between 8.9 and 9.1 consistantly. Thats mixed driving hwy and around town running my routes. Its not the greatest mpg but i'll take it. I dont think guys with 2500 gas engines would get too much better. Maybe 2 or 3 mpg better i would assume.

11. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

2003 2500HD w/ a 6.0, 4:10's pulling a 8.5x16 got about 8-9mpg

oh, and.....NICE RIG btw

12. beano

beano Member

Thanks, it serves my purpose pretty well, i would like to get a larger truck but in the middle of getting hired with the police department so i am kind of on hold on making purchases until i hear from them.

13. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

good luck with that however if im ever in Columbus and get a ticket...ill be lookin you up!

14. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

you will be fine. You live on the cape 9/10 of the time you get less snow than the rest of state, So plow away with it. its probably in a half ton right

15. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

yeah its a 1/2 ton... and yeah we have only been getting 4-6 inchers when the rest is getting a foot

16. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

I have the 4.8 in my 05. It's been a great truck! Plows great too. 4.8 is a perfect size for me, wouldn,t want anything bigger.

17. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

My friend runs his 4.8 long box p/u all day long with a DUMP box, towing a trailer on it, and a yard or two of sand some times. I never new it was a 4.8...fooled me....