1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use Telescopic Forklifts for commercial lots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mr Green, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Mr Green

Mr Green Junior Member

Hey Guys, I have a fairly large commercial site that we took care of last year with a 873 Bobcat with a 10ft Pro Tech pusher and a dump truck. We did a get job and will retain the site but the property manager wants a bigger piece of equipment this year. I know someone who has a 4x4 CAT Telescopic forklift. Is this comparable to a loader? Is it enough to handle a 3 acre lot? Just looking for someone with experience with this type of equipment. Oh yeah all 4 wheels turn. Thanks guys
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

try some reading before posting,there is a current thread entirely about this
  3. Mr Green

Mr Green Junior Member

I haven't seen any posts about this type of equipment. This is not a regular warehouse forklift. This is a much large piece of equipment.
  4. gkm

gkm Senior Member

do you mean something like a high -reach?
  5. lumps

lumps Senior Member

To clear things up, you're talking about something along these lines, yes?

6. Mr Green

Mr Green Junior Member

Yes, It does look very similar to that. Would a machine like that be able to handle the pushing and stacking the snow. I did read some of the other post but I don't believe that they were talking about a similar piece of equipment. They would like a loader but this with a pusher and a bucket should be able to do the job....right?
  7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

AKA telehandler or telahandler. There should be some posts on that topic.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

In a heartbeat. Just don't extend the boom too far.

Depending on weight and HP, you should be able to go much larger on the pusher, these things are torque monsters.
  9. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Here is what we use...

Forklift Plow.jpg
  10. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I thought about a Skytrac, being a builder we'd use it all summer but in our experience, they can't get out of their own way on any slippery surface. On jobsites in the winter, we always get them stuck.

Different brands have the boom at different heights, that Ingersoll is set higher than a Skytrac, I think the JRB is high also.

With that being said, I heard that Lumbermans in Grand Rapids plows with their lift (that's what we call them).
  11. cretebaby

this is considered a telehandler especially in the ag markets

JD dave has or had one for sale and used it for plowing, i would talk to him
  12. cretebaby

i didnt know how to link you to it so just check the new posts for JD 3800
  13. Mr Green

Mr Green Junior Member

The machine that Lumps has is pretty much the same thing. The John Deere is a loader with a boom. I need to get the model number but I do know it is a CAT. It looks like if you kept up with the lot, it should not have a problem. The tires are not slicks...they are for mud. The boom goes to 30 feet so we should be able to make a mountain in the back. Thanks for all the great feedback.
  14. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

If it's a CAT TH Telehandler, there is a switch on the floor to lock the front axle for more traction.

A telehandler will be able to move a lot of snow, with either a bucket or a pusher. If it has outriggers, you can extend the boom pretty far, but you will feel it get light on the rear end.

The cycle times in a telehandler are also longer than those in a wheel loader.

The boom might be able to go 30 feet, but again, you're gonna want to make sure it's got outriggers to do that.