1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use interior deck lights?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by duramaxblade, Jan 5, 2009.

1. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

I used to have a Whelen 9000 set on my truck. I sold it and got a new truck. This time around I want to keep everything low key, until I hit the switches. I looked through every page to see if anyone has a set up like I am looking for but I didn't see one. Here's a link to one on you tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1g8bppRzhc
    I will probably just get a back rack for the rear and use strip leds. But for the front I was hoping that someone might have a set up similar and give me some suggestions. Thanks.
  2. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

Also wondering about flash back...Thanks
  3. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

My only problem with a interior bar like that, would be the glare off the windshield all night! I had a Whelen talon dual led when i was a volunteer firefighter in NY state, even with the little shield it comes with, it was a PITA driving around at night. IMO you really need 360 degree protection! more so for the sides of the truck backing out of a driveway or parking lot, where it would be hard to see your dime snow covered tail lights.

I'd stick with a roof mount light bar, the new led bars are so small and thin, you can't even really see them being clear.
  4. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

yeah the only light with like no flash back is the whelen spec tir 8
  5. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

As far as the protection, I would add leds to the sides of the back rack. Problem with adding a light bar is that I can't fit into any garages when I go into the city, and THAT is a PITA. My old boss made it into one, and couldn't make it out. Had to take it off in the garage. LOL. Made for a great story though. I guess if you guys have any other suggestions for other options for the front of the truck that would help. I really want to try and avoid mounting another lightbar. I know I will definitely put hide-away in the corners, and in the front fogs, but I want something else (preferably amber) to clear the way for me.
  6. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

7. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

I had a jeep with a Meyers back in the day, I mounted hide away strobes inside the turn signal of my plow lights. Clear strobe behind the amber lens, you could do somthing like that? If your push frame comes off the truck, it would be a few more plugs to remove! but it's not really a big deal.
  8. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

The duel talon is very bright, i have had the mini phantom and slim miser..not the best during the day but good at night...
  9. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

the only warning light on the interior of mine is the Whelen Slimlighter above the review mirror .. and honestly i just got used the flash back in the windshield... doesnt really bother me much..
  10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

how did they get the strobes in the third brake light. I diden't theing that there was enough room to do that?
  11. DHDB

DHDB Member

12. DHDB

DHDB Member

I had a bracket made at work for it. It's not perm attached to anything. The headliner & winshield hold the light in place. I'll post a pic as soon as I can.
  13. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have deck mount strobes in my crown vic, and no problems at all with flashback.
  14. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

15. z71plowguy

z71plowguy Senior Member

if you did not want to do a back rack you could add lights in the rear side windows and also have you looked into hid-a-ways
  16. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

do 90watt 4 head hideaways, dual fed sig viper S2(much smaller than whelen avenger and just as bright and 50 bucks cheaper), then throw some tir3s or similar on the backrack.
  17. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

I like DHDB's set up. I would definitely put two in the front if I can fit them, but I like that. Nice and low key. How did you run the wires without ruining your head liner. Can you show me some pics. That is the only thing that's holding me back. Of course I could pay to have a shop do it, but I always do my lighting myself. Anyone know how to pull the headliner, or at least just enough to pull wires?
    And as far as the plow light with hideaways, I will definitely look into that. I could just run an extra fisher plug. I just don't know it they would fit, but that is def a good idea.
  18. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I have a Tomar 200s high out put light in my windshield for my volunteer FD. VERY bright light with hardly any flashback. I suggest looking into them.
  19. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

20. DHDB

DHDB Member

Here is a pic of the bracket, one end (9 inches wide) other end (4 inches wide) total length (9 inches). On the side view, flat (3/4 inch), 90' bend and up (3/4 inch), approx. 10' angle to match roof (mine-2004 Dodge 2500). Light attaches to flat portion of bracket.
    I saw the factory brackets that screw thru the headliner and I didn't want that in my truck. This worked out great!
    Unscrew the grab handle on the pass.side, unscrew the bracket for the sun visor, and you should be able to pull down the corner of the headliner. I wrapped the end of the bracket w/ a thin piece of foam (due to exposed wires from roof lights). Put the bracket into place, position it, and put everthing back together. Whats nice is it's not perm. mounted to anything. It doesn't move around or anything. PS run the wires in the headliner and behind the grab bar (probably have to lengthen wire).
    Good Luck!